Saturday, September 03, 2005

Remembering Past Times and a Love Long Lost

One of my duties when I was married was to cook supper every night after I quit my long haul truck driving job. My wife went to college during the day and also worked second shift at the library where she was employed.

I had just got supper finished as she pulled up into the driveway in her car. Her headlights illuminated the kitchen window as she pulled up. I heard the car door shut and the familiar sounds of her walking up the back steps of our deck. She opened the door and walked inside. Our Boston terrier, Otis, ecstatically greeted her. She carried on about him with great affection as she picked him and kissed him.

“Hey, doll,” She said as she then kissed me upon my lips.

“How was your day?” I asked.

At first, she looked as if she was at a loss for words. She then broke down and started to cry.

“I hate Nadine and she made me miserable today,” She said. “I couldn’t do anything right. I am so glad to be home.”

“Come on. Let’s get something to eat and you will feel better,” I replied.

I had fixed her favorite meal of baked ham and macaroni and cheese. We quietly ate our meal and then I washed up the dishes. Rachel then took a bath and put on her nightgown. I was sitting on the couch reading a magazine when she joined me.

“Hold me,” She said as she sat down.

I put down the magazine and wrapped her up in my arms. She started to cry softly.

“I love you so much,” She said.

“I love you too, sweetheart,” I said as I brushed her hair aside and kissed her on the forehead.

We sat there for the longest time holding each other upon the sofa. I could smell the perfume of her freshly washed hair and her soft skin against mine. I kissed her several more times on her forehead. She held me even more closely. It was getting late.

“Come on,” I said as I stood up and grabbed her hand to pull her up. “Let’s go to bed.”

We got in the bed, scrambled under the covers, and I wrapped my arms around her tightly and pulled her close as I held her. I held her for a long time with Otis at the foot of the bed snoring as dogs do. Soon, she was fast asleep and I let go my grip and rolled over. I laid there for the longest time until sleep overcame me.

I miss those times the most about my failed marriage. I miss Otis. I miss those intimate moments with a woman I loved. I guess I am destined to go through life alone. A lonely bed awaits me and maybe I should head that way. All I have to hold tightly is a pillow, but is does bring me great comfort.

1 comment:

Lorena said...

Más vale solo que mal acompañado :)

At least you know what is love like.. I have a sister with schizophrenia and I think she will never get married..