Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Vision

Have you ever been to your local pool and opened your eyes underwater? Isn’t it blurry? That is my vision without my contacts or glasses. Lately, my vision has degraded and I could not see with my glasses. I cannot wear my hard contact lenses anymore as they are painful and no longer fit my eyes. It has grown increasingly hard to read this computer screen. My relatives have been noticing that I squint all the time to try and correct my vision.

My mother also has schizophrenia and is obsessive/compulsive. She has been bugging me for weeks obsessively about going to the eye doctor. She has been a woman obsessed.

I hate doctors and will not go unless I absolutely must have to. My poor vision finally broke my will to fight it any longer. Mom made an appointment and today was the day. Isn’t that sad that I am 33 years old and still relying upon my mother for such things? Bless her soul. I wouldn’t know what I would do without her.

I am particular about my personal boundaries and the eye doctor getting so close to me to observe my eyes made me supremely uncomfortable. I could smell his breath as he administered a barrage of tests upon my eyes. I felt as if I would cast his equipment aside and run out of the room I felt so uncomfortable. Fortunately, I held it together long enough without causing any embarrassing moments. He got his results.

The doctor’s words were that I have “nipples” upon my corneas; an apparent deformity that is inherited. All I could think of was real women’s breasts as he said this. So sue me. I am a guy. This causes my hard contact lenses to not seat properly upon my eyes thus the pain. It feels as if I have a grain of sand in my eyes as I wear them.

He scribbled furiously upon his papers and said that my new contacts should alleviate the problem. He had adjusted the conformity of the lenses to seat upon my corneas. Hopefully, in a few days I will get a call that my new vision has arrived. I don’t want to think about how much this is going to cost though. I am sure it will be hundreds of dollars, but what price would you pay for good vision?

No comments: