Thursday, September 01, 2005

Clueless

I feel so clueless. I have been completely oblivious to what has been happening in New Orleans. I haven’t watched the television since Monday, rarely listen to the radio, and I don’t visit news websites like www.cnn.com. As I have always stated about my media fast that if something was important it would find me and I don’t have to go out and seek it. Today, it did.

My brother and sister both lived in New Orleans for five years and attended Tulane University. I have been there many times during their college years and it was an interesting city. I am just glad they are not caught in that mess and are safely in other parts of the country.

After finding this out, I hit some of the blogs I enjoy, but have not read recently. I knew they would have an interesting take on what is going on in New Orleans contrary to popular media. Here is one excerpt from Ran Prier’s Web Log that I thought was interesting. I am not necessarily an alarmist about such matters, but thought it was food for thought.

September 1. A reader asks:

“Do you think we've been conditioned, via our mass media, to respond with panic now? Movies like Oil Storm, all this focus on "looters" and "lawlessness," almost like we're being told this is how to behave? I could almost imagine a kind of mass hysteria sweeping through parts of the nation which are really not in any danger.”
The Empire wants to dominate. It doesn't want us running wild in the streets, because that's unpredictable. It's showing looters not to make us steal, but to make us afraid of looters, so we happily give more power to authorities. The worst thing that could happen from the Empire's perspective, and the best thing from our perspective, is for the media to show people getting along, being helpful, working effectively, without any police or soldiers or bureaucrats around. Conversely, the best thing for the rulers is for us to see horrific violence in the absence of central control.

You will not see any of that on this site. There's a fucking war on. The war is between bottom-up life and top-down control. It's true, sometimes bad things happen because control breaks down. But anyone who focuses on that, and not on the much worse effects of the domination system itself, is a propagandist for that system.

No comments: