Friday, July 14, 2006

George’s Second Thoughts

I walked out of the cool AA meeting hall and was hit by the blast of heat from a hot southern summer’s evening. It was stifling. It is customary for those of us who smoke to have a cigarette and some conversation before heading on home.

“You really drank mouthwash all the time?” Paul, an AA member, asked me.

“I did sometimes,” I replied. “It was only a dollar a bottle and was a cheap drunk.”

“But won’t the alcohol in mouthwash kill you or cause you to go blind?” He then asked.

“No, they use grain alcohol in mouthwash for liability reasons since is taken orally,” I replied. “That way if someone accidentally swallows it, they only get a buzz and not the effects of isopropyl alcohol which is very dangerous and poisonous.”

“Hmmm,” He said rubbing his chin and then taking another drag off of his cigarette. “Where did you learn that?”

“From a homeless man I know,” I replied. “He drinks it all the time.”

“Shit, you learn something everyday,” Paul said as he looked perplexed.

I finished my cigarette and exchanged phone numbers with several of the fellas standing out back smoking. I then walked towards the parking lot to see George’s car sitting next to mine. I walked over to his open window to find him sitting in there smoking a cigarillo. Puffs of tobacco smoke were billowing out the window.

“Hey man, what’s up?” I asked. “Why didn’t you come in?”

“My breath reeks of alcohol,” George replied. “I thought they would throw me out.”

“Man, court ordered people come in all the time drunk. Those people in there all drank heavily. They wouldn’t have judged you or thrown you out.” I replied.

George pulled an almost empty bottle of Wild Irish Rose out from under the seat and took a sip and then offered it to me. I waved it off.

“Where are you headed now?” I asked him. “You need to head on home. Your breath smells like a brewery.”

“I am headed home,” George replied. “Momma cooked supper and I have been drinking on an empty stomach. I need to get something down me before I get too drunk. I told momma I was going to an AA meeting with you and she was happy. Don’t tell her I didn’t go.”

“I won’t say a word, but let me follow you on home,” I told him.

I followed George on home and went inside briefly to talk to George’s mother. She had cooked a delicious looking supper of fried pork chops, black eyed peas, fried okra, and homemade biscuits. The house smelled wonderfully of southern cooking.

“Did you all’s meeting go alright?” Mrs. Jones asked.

“Yes ma’am,” I replied.

I hated lying like that.

“I appreciate you taking the time to go with him,” She then said.

“That is what friends are for,” I said feeling guilty.

“Honey, you want to stay for supper?” She asked. “I have enough to feed five people.”

“No, ma’am,” I said. “I better head home and take my nightly medications.”

“Well, thanks again and you take care of yo self,” She said.

“Good night Mrs. Jones and George, I will see you all later,” I said as I walked to the door.

I and George both stepped out upon the front steps. George reached down into the bushes to pull out a fifth of cheap vodka that was half full.

“I know I shouldn’t ask, but what are doing with vodka in the bushes?”

“Momma won’t let me have alcohol in the house and will pour it out if she finds it,” Sherman replied.

I shook my head in disbelief that George was a fifty year old man. I told George good night and drove on home. Maggie was waiting at the fence whining jubilantly to come inside as I got out of the car. I let her in and we have both settled in for the night. It is time to catch up on all my favorite blogs.

No comments: