Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Dog Days

The Dog Days of summer have begun. They are so-named because Sirius (the “Dog Star”) rises around the same time as the sun. The Dog Days usually mean blisteringly hot and humid weather in the south and it seems to be afflicting the whole country this year. These southern summer days are filled with the staccato cadences of cicadas and the shrill call of locusts. I often find myself sitting on the porch as I smoke my pipe taking in the ambience of these summer days. This is definitely my favorite time of the year despite the heat and humidity. I would have been well suited to have been born in the previous century without air conditioning.

My AA meeting went well tonight. We had a professor from Auburn University come and give his story about his drinking and how he got sober. You find people from all walks of life in those meeting halls; from blue collar workers, to little old ladies, to doctors and professors.

After the meeting, I was sitting in my car getting ready to crank up and drive off. I was in the process of putting on my seat belt when one of the members walked up to my car.

“Good to see you coming back,” He said as he shook my hand through my open window. “It has been a long time.”

“Yeah, I kinda fell off the wagon for a few years there,” I replied.

“Get you a sponsor and work those steps,” He replied. “If I can get sober and stay sober then anybody can.”

I have a phobia about talking on the phone with people I don’t know very well, but didn’t share this with the fellow.

“Have you got a pen and piece of paper?” He asked.

“Sure,” I replied as I reached into my glove box to pull them out.

He gave me his phone number and told me to keep coming back and to call him any time I needed a friend.

“Ninety meetings in ninety days,” He said and then walked off.

I drove on home and let Maggie out for a wee. I then walked over to my parent’s house just to socialize with them for awhile. Dad was in kitchen washing dishes after supper.

“What did you all have to eat?” I asked curious and I was also hungry.

“Bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches,” Dad replied. “You hungry?”

“You read my mind,” I replied.

Dad fixed me two tomato sandwiches with ample amounts of Blue Plate mayonnaise. Just like I like it. He accompanied it with some potato chips and sliced banana peppers. I love a tomato sandwich and they were delicious. Food just seems to taste better when someone else fixes it.

“You know dad. There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich fixed with home garden grown tomatoes,” I said.

“I love them too,” He replied. “You can’t beat them this time of year. Would you like some dessert?”

I never pass up a good dessert. Dad cut me a thick slice of pound cake and topped it with fresh sliced peaches in sugar syrup and fresh whipped cream.

“Now that is just freakin’ delicious,” I replied as I hungrily downed the dessert.

It was absolutely one of the best deserts I have eaten in years.

Afterwards, we all sat in the den and talked for the longest time until it was time for dad to leave for his pharmacy. He works from 9:00 PM to 12:00 PM on Sunday nights doing the books and running statements for his customers with credit. I walked on home to a chorus of katydids and a waning moon rising on the horizon. It was a beautiful sight. Good night.

No comments: