Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Having seizures……

I now know how Alaine has felt. I have never had one seizure in my whole life. I had three today.

An old friend contacted me about playing a game we’ve played off and on for over four years. I was the fourth member to join this gaming clan years ago. He wanted me to come out of retirement to play a defensive position on a six man team in a new league tournament coming up. I told him I would and that I would start practicing today.

It is a first person shooter game called elite force based on the ill-fated Star Trek voyager series than ran for seven years. It is built upon the popular Quake III arena engine and plays much the same.

I installed the game and started practicing. I was amazed to find that people still play this game after a year long hiatus. It can get really intense with extremely fast movement and things whirling around on the screen. I was in an intense game trying to keep my flag from getting taken and it happened.

I slumped over the keyboard and started to jerk and shake violently. I tried to play some more and then another seizure and then another. I had to log off and go lay down. The movement on the screen was giving me seizures. It wasn’t painful, just weird, as if I was no longer in control of my body. I would shake and jerk violently and the mouse would fall off the table to the floor.

I am sad because I really wanted to make a comeback and help my friend. I don’t know how to explain this. I think I will just tell him I do not have the time to play anymore. I used to be in the top ten best players in the USA out of thousands. Now, I am a has been.

No comments: