Monday, September 25, 2006

Breakfast with Ferret

I walked down this morning to hang out with Ferret. Big S’s rumors that he had been arrested were unfounded. Ferret was in good spirits and seems to be taking his homelessness in stride. I swung by Sarah Jay’s eatery and got him a box plate of breakfast. I got one for myself as well. We sat and ate our plates as we talked.

“Have you thought about reconciling with your mother?” I asked him.

“Hell, I would rather live homeless than live with that bitch any longer,” He replied.

I noticed that Ferret was looking rather unkempt these days. That tends to happen with being homeless. I could go a week without a shower or a shave.

“Do you need a razor, man?” I asked rather bluntly.

Ferret rubbed his beard with his hand.

“I am looking rather rough these days, aren’t I?” He said with a laugh. “I think I will get Sherman to take me down to the truck stop for a shower and shave today.”

Ferret then said he was going to walk up to the grocery store and hang out awhile. I bid him farewell and climbed upon my bike. I peddled on back home not wanting to get tangled up with Big S and the gang today. I just couldn’t bear Big S begging me for cigarettes today.

No comments: