Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Homecoming…



My brother, his wife, and daughter made it home from San Diego yesterday. Lily, his daughter, wanted to see Maggie. I and Maggie walked over to my parent’s backyard and three year old Lily squealed with glee as Maggie ran around her like a busy little fool. I sat in the grass taking such a pleasurable moment in. It was so damn good to have them home and brought my father no end of the amount of joy he was experiencing. Homecoming is always special especially when you have been in Iraq for eight months.

They leave for the beach on next Monday morning. I can’t say I am not kind of miffed that I wasn’t invited and have to take care of my parent’s animals. I had to swallow my selfish feelings and realize that my father just wanted some time with my brother after he had been off to Iraq for so long. There is a big yellow ribbon tied around the huge oak tree by my parent’s driveway proclaiming a brother, a son, and a friend has come home from war.

3 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

I am so happy for you and your family. We are truly blessed to have your brother. Thank you, even though you can't really tell him we said so. But, thank you.

Leann said...

Andrew, I'm glad to hear he made it home safely.

Sometimes it's difficult to put aside our selfish desires, and an even greater feat to understand the underlying reasons.

Summer said...

I understand what you're feeling about not being invited. But what you said is most certainly true as maybe, it was just about your brother and not about excluding you. I think this is ok. I know it is. Don't fret over it.