Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Seeing Your Breath on a Cool Morning…

It is so brisk this morning. I walked outside and inhaled and exhaled deeply. I could clearly see my breath in the cool morning air. There was also the smell of burning leaves on the air as one of my elderly neighbors is out early today trying to get ahead of this fall’s crop of falling leaves and debris. That smell always signifies the start of winter for me.

Maggie seemed to revel in this comfortably cool weather. She ran through the yard playfully playing chicken with me like I have never seen her run. I quietly sat in the very cold wrought iron chair in my backyard as I took in this morning’s first pipe of the day. That cold iron sending shivers up my spine as it pressed into my back.

I had to light my gas heater this morning and have it on low as we speak. I am so terribly cold natured. This is a guy who will go for most of a southern summer without using air conditioning unless I have guests. I love the heat.

As I smoked my pipe, I sat quietly reflecting on this past month of bliss. Things seem to be going so well these days. I have a special person with whom to share my life and our demeanors are a perfect match these days. I will soon be moved into a new and renovated home at the start of this New Year. I have plenty of nourishing and comforting food to eat and never go hungry. Things are back to normal with regards to my relationship with my family.

I thought to myself, “It is times like these that it is so cool to be alive and to enjoy life.” I just hope the other shoe doesn’t suddenly fall and disrupt this gilded life of mine. “The Beast” as I sometimes call my disability is always lurking around the corner ready to strike at a moment’s notice. But let’s not dwell on what may or may not come. It is time to enjoy and live in the present for tomorrow may never arrive.

It is now time to hit the hay as my grandmother always said.

4 comments:

becky said...

I am so glad that you are able to pause and "be" and enjoy these small perfections in your life. And that you write to tell us about them.

Bravo! Enjoy this awareness of the good. You deserve it.
Becky

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

I second what Becky said. It's always nice to hear of someone appreciating what they have, what they have to look forward to, and their present place in life.
I find that people are quick to whine about what's bad and going wrong, but are very slow to praise what's good and right.
I make it a point to see what I have and be thankful, and focus less on what I don't have. I know that no matter what problems I have in life, there are many many others who are suffering with far worse. And they have less money, food, and people in their lives to talk to or count on.
Kudos to you for sharing your thanks!
Liz

zirelda said...

It's very nice when things go well. Don't go looking for that other shoe hurtling from space. It isn't worth it. It sounds like you are in a peaceful phase right now. May it last a long time for you and Carolyn.

Smile, enjoy the fall and those you love and love you back.

Leann said...

Good for you Andrew. It's wasted energy to dwell in the past or try to predict the future. Enjoy being in the moment.