Saturday, September 23, 2006

George: Incarcerated

I hadn’t heard from George in a few weeks. I have tried to call his cell phone several times, but it was disconnected. I walked down to the shopping center this afternoon as I was listening to the Auburn game on my little handheld radio. Big S was bursting at the seams to share some gossip with me.

“George be in jail,” He replied.

“When did this happen?” I asked.

“Week before last,” Big S said. “He got pulled over for having a headlight out and they ran his plates. That failure to appear warrant popped up. The judge be holding him without bail because he had so many previous DUIs and was driving without a license.”

I bought my Gatorade and walked on home. I can’t say I am surprised about this turn of events. George had it coming to him. I don’t mean to be callous, but it is actually a good thing he got locked up. He was going to kill himself or somebody else with his constant drinking and driving. Maybe now, he will get sobered up. He is probably looking at quite some time in county jail. At least they have AA meetings on the inside.

_______________________________________


Carolyn showed up for breakfast this morning. She was amazed at how fast I could whip up some homemade biscuits. I am like my father’s mother and have to have them often in the mornings. It is second nature now. I no longer have to look at a recipe. She watched me intently as I prepared them before getting the sausage and eggs started.

“The shortening is the key,” I told her. “That is what makes them so light and flaky. You want the flour to have a crumbly texture after you cut in the Crisco.”

“My ex couldn’t microwave a meal without asking me for help,” Carolyn replied. “I like it that you like to cook and can cook.”

“Well, it certainly makes it more worthwhile cooking for two instead of just myself,” I replied as I smiled.

The biscuits went into the oven and in moments I got the sausage frying and started to grate the cheddar cheese for the eggs.

“Look in the fridge and slice up that cantaloupe,” I said.

Carolyn pulled the pungent melon out and cut it up into wedges and wrapped the remaining half in Saran wrap. Out came the biscuits and we sat down to eat as soon as I finished scrambling the eggs. We then both crawled into bed and slept until way after lunch; all in all, a very nice day so far.

2 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

I can't say that I am surprised either. It was only a matter of time. This will hopefully help him get on the right path.

Summer said...

I need a good biscuit recipe. Will you share yours? SummerAug@aol.com.