Friday, September 29, 2006

Restless Sleep and Nightmarish Dreams…

I bolted upright out of bed suddenly. The bedside alarm clock read 3:30 PM. I had awoken from a dreadful dream.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Carolyn asked me as she grabbed my arm as I sat on the edge of my bed.

“I dreamt I was still married to Rachel,” I replied. “I kept escaping to go live in the woods and she would find me and make me come back home. I haven’t had a nightmare like that in years.”

Carolyn lay back down in the bed and started to laugh softly as I lit up a cigarette.

“What’s so funny?” I asked incredulously. “That was hell on earth. I’m just glad I could awake from it.”

“Just you,” She said as she smiled. “That woman put you through hell, didn’t she?”

“She drove me crazy, literally!” I snapped as I got out of the bed pissed.

I walked into the kitchen to pour me a glass of milk. I stood in front of my fridge drinking it as I felt someone walk up behind me and wrap their arms around my waist.

“I’m sorry,” She said. “I didn’t mean to take your dream lightly.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” I replied. “I am sorry for snapping at you as well.”

“How ‘bout me and you both get a shower and go get something to eat?” She asked me. “It will be my treat. Barbeque chicken sounds good to me.”

I turned around and held her close.

“I am so glad you are not like her,” I replied resting my face on her shoulder. “Rachel took everything I did as an affront to her. You rock, you know that?”

“Well, I think you rock as well,” She told me back.

1 comment:

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

I was already feeling lonely tonight, this made it worse. But it is a nice entry. Very touching.

Liz