Friday, August 24, 2007

A Helluva Hebrew Hot Dog

"I wish I would have never taken that first drink of alcohol when I was fourteen," I told my mother during our planned hot dog supper tonight.

I had prepared delicious Hebrew National hot dogs with Sarah Lee buns, Bavarian style sauer kraut, potato salad, and baked beans. We were enjoying our meal as the subject turned to this. Me and my mother use each other as our psychotherapists. Rosa listened intently as we sat around my kitchen table, and it rained and thundered outside.

"How did you get a drink at fourteen?" My mother asked, looking alarmed.

"You and dad had an old bottle of wine in the kitchen. I took it and drank it. You all never missed it."

"I'm so sorry," she said. "We shouldn't have had it in the house."

"It wasn't your fault," I replied. "But it did start a lifelong love affair with alcohol. That first drunk is always the best."

Mom enjoyed her supper and I was sad for her to leave. I walked her to her car and gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Rosa and I then got on the topic of our first experiences with our addictions as we sat in my den watching the Weather Channel.

"I knew I was in trouble when my morals went to hell," Rosa told me. "I would steal, lie, do anything for a fix."

"Well, I would drink mouthwash for a dollar a bottle when I was running low on money."

Rosa shuddered and said she felt like she was going to throw up just thinking about it. I feared I had said too much during our little confessional.

"I didn't mean to make you sick," I said, backpeddling and reaching for her hand.

"I just can't imagine you like that," she replied. "Drinking mouthwash!?!?"

"It's sad," I said. "I am ashamed to admit it, but I was so desperate. I couldn't live without being drunk."

Couldn't live without being drunk... Let's hope those aren't my famous last words. It has been a slow and painful process tackling each day without my old crutch, beer. From that pain, I have grown and matured. I still get the most terrible panic attacks, but you know what? They pass. I get through them. I used to think I would die and would get drunk to feel better. I now choose to live each day sober and the biggest benefit? I can actually live with myself without feeling like a scourge of society.

"You are so different from what you told me you once were. I am glad I didn't know you when you were a drunk," Rosa then said.

And, I too, am glad you didn't know me then dear Rosa. So glad indeed. We would have never probably met. I would have missed out on the best thing that has happened to me since I graduated from high school or had sex for the first time.

8 comments:

CuriousRead said...

Your blog is excellent! We should link up. If your ever bored and would like to read a interesting story check out my blog "Curious Read" @
http://curiousread.blogspot.com/

AngelicScripts said...

Wow, this one gave me the shivers and I'm not sure why. Perhaps because I can't imagine having a crutch as strong as you describe beer was to you. Wonderful that you gave it up and kept away from it enough to turn your life completely around. Be well.

Candleman said...

I started my addiction when I was ten and didn't get clean until I was 56. I'm so glad you found your way out in time to enjoy your youth.

moose beard said...

This reminds me of how I recovered from sobriety. Minus the crack addicted prostitutes and such, but still the same.

Ah...that was a dark time of my life...I know what you're going through right now. Being clear headed and able to create comprehensible speech, brings a shiver down my spine.

prateeksha said...

nice confessional.. it's tough coming as clean about the whole issue as you did. hope you're doing better with yourself minus booze now..

if you wish, i'm@http://hatedoingthisnamingstuff.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Our lives are determined by the choices we make along the way. So glad you are now making the right choices.

Lynette said...

This is an excellent post. I really like what you told us and I have an idea of the temptation you fight.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I really enjoyed this post!! Everything happens for a reason..that's why you're so aware of others angst..because of what you've experienced yourself..I think that's what makes a very noble human being..their life experiences and how you can help with it!
Always,
Crusty~