Sunday, August 19, 2007

Three

Things happen in threes. My MP3 player stopped working this morning. I had a long essay written and lost it due to a power outage. My computer keeps doing strange things like the display driver not responding. It is ominous. What have I done to upset the technology gods? I woke up after a short nap, rubbing my eyes, wondering what is going to happen next. It makes me superstitious.

I complained to Rosa, exasperated. "Baby, it's time for you to go analog. I know you're mister Internet and all, but you need to take a break. You are too tied to all that technology. You do your best writing in a pen and paper journal."

I felt a tinge of despair over losing that essay as if I had lost a dear friend. Rosa's words echoed in my mind as I nervously curled up on the couch eating nacho cheese Doritos and then licking the cheese off my fingertips. Then I wandered into the kitchen to make a grilled cheese sandwich and a cold glass of milk -- the sandwich filled with gooey cheddar and lots of Blue Plate mayonnaise. I eat when I am nervous. I crawled into my most comfortable clothes, into my sheets, as Maggie joined me. I felt better then. My burning the midnight oil last night is coming back to haunt me today.

6 comments:

GG said...

Technology gods haunt all. Comfort food cures all.

Missterious said...

you're a very talented writer! Keep up the great work!
-missterious

KYRIE said...

My MP3 has been acting up too. I can't seem to downdload music into it since last week.

Ellie said...

Ahh. The technology gods. They screw us all up at some point right? Hang in there. Rosa might just be right, though. I'm sure your pen and paper writing is exceptional. %%%

Summer said...

Mercury is in retrograde and when it is, every breaks. So I've been told.

Meeg said...

I've been having issues lately too with electronics and with other problems popping up in my life. Seems like these things come along in waves.