Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Human Experience

I was terrible at any sport. My brother was fantastic. Recess would find me playing chess or short games of Dungeons and Dragons instead of playing kickball. My good friend, Jo Jo, would join me in these more mentally esoteric exercises. We would explore the Gold Coast in our minds guided by our dungeon master friend as the more physically endowed kids ran upon the playground. Around age ten I discovered drawing. I had a talent for it and would sketch scenes in my sketch book with chalks and pencil as other children gathered around to watch. I remember feeling so proud that I had a skill as enviable as throwing the touchdown pass.

My father has been watching a series on Public Broadcasting called The Power of Art. He wants to reinvigorate my artistic leanings and fund my desire to start painting and drawing again. "That sketch of Princess Diana you drew as a child is still hanging up on our wall," he told me last night. "You have a gift and I would hate for you to squander it." I have been amiable to his suggestions and will give it a try. I want to do sketches of small town southern life.

"What would we need to buy?"

"Oh, we need to visit an art shop in Atlanta and see what is available. I want chalks and charcoals and nice sketching pencils and pads," I replied.

My father promised me this weekend we would make a road trip in search of artistic endeavors. I am actually excited about it. Excited to have another hobby that will tickle the creative side of my personality. I will try and put up some of my sketches on the blog if I can manage to get a camera sometime soon.

"Are you and this woman an item now?" my father also asked me last night bringing up a little talked about subject between us.

"That is my business," I said tersely, but with an air of kindness.

"She has a storied past."

"So have I."

"I just worry about you. You've come so far in two years."

He was worried that the rigors of a new relationship would drive me back to my old drinking ways. He wasn't necessarily worried about Rosa's colorful past as he wanted me to believe. I joked with my father saying, "I wish I was a dickless orphan," in that I wouldn't have to deal with emotional/sexual urges and family desires and pressures. It would be the perfect upbringing for social anxiety riddled mentally ill young man. It certainly would have made my life much easier, but I would have missed out on so many of the joys in living life. Love. Sex. Relationships. All things that are so integral to the human experience.

13 comments:

Whistlingypsy said...

Long term silent reader of your posts- you are a novel and a wonder. Was worried about you in Atlanta traffic (was caught in endless creeping I-65 construction on Tuesday on way home to NC) Anyhoo- Art is a wonderful thing, like breathing and thinking- essential to life. go for it!

Patrick said...

You write well. I recommend that you examine your use of the word, "upon."

Cheers!

C.A. said...

"I wish I was a dick-less orphan,"

Andrew, you kill me. This is going to be the quote of the day!

I'm still reading along religiously, just not commenting much. I'm so glad youre doing so very well lately.

Hugs...

C.A.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I too really enjoyed that rather lovely phrase you spoke of with your dad.

Dungeons and dragons-ahhh...Thanks for the memory-I too used to spend many hours involved in that game with my neighborhood friends-that and Stratego.

You know what's best for you.
You love her? You go for it.
You have one life here..and you're as you said it in another post, "taking the bull by its horns."
Good for you being so confident in regards to your dad.

Always,
Crusty~

Rae said...

I wish I was a dickless orphan! Perfect! It captures it all ... if it weren't for families, sex and emotions life would be a whole lot easier.

I say that and I don't even have a dick! Ha ha.

I'm thrilled with these newfound and revealed feelings about Rosa. Glad you are taking it slow though. That means it matters.

All my best.

Its Tishy said...

WOW!! You are so lucky...to write so well and AND draw!! My drawing consists of stick people LOL I am glad to hear your dad wasnt't upset about Rosa. I am excited for you and her! There is much to be said for an older woman! (I am 6 years older then my fiance)

Have a GREAT day!!
Tish

Laurisa said...

Thank you, Andrew. I don't feel so alone, now I haven't learn how to operate here yet, but I want to make sure that I can return and read what you have to say.

Portia said...

yup, we got to take the good with the bad. but i know the feeling of just not wanting to deal with the bad.

can't wait to hear how the art comes along...have fun :)

Josie Two Shoes said...

You are doing such a great job of handling things with your father these days. You are able to talk about issues without letting him bear down on you and it does sound like he genuinely wants you to be happy. I love that you will be getting back into drawing - can't wait to see your work! Perhaps if you can't find a camera you can use a scanner to share smaller drawings with us?! We would love to see your creative interpretation of Rosa! :-)

becky voyles said...

I have been a lurker for a couple of weeks now. I really admire your writing skills & your honesty. I am a poet/wannabe writer turned artist. Creativity is a blessing. Would love to see your art work posted here.

quoththerav3

Summer said...

OMG! You made me laugh again! Dickless orphan! Now you know me, I'm thinking about the female side of that. What could we call it? It just doesn't have the same ring....

"Wolfgang" said...

Ahh... a fellow Dungeons & Dragons geek. I still play when I can.

KYRIE said...

I loved to draw too. Can't say if I was any good though!
Ur father is really wonderful to support u like tht!
Well, maybe one day u will design ur book covers urself!