Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Suspicious Minds

I've always been a morning person. I awake well before dawn and start my day. Rosa can sleep till lunchtime much to my chagrin. Of course, Rosa is not going to miss a beat and will soon stir when she hears me up and about. This morning was the same.

We drifted down to the shopping center this morning after our walk. The air was cool and pleasant -- hovering in the seventies. The parking lot was already brimming with the cars of early shoppers. I walked down to the diner to get us some bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits. I got one for Clara and Big S as well who were already panhandling in front of the Piggly Wiggly.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Clara, the homeless woman, asked suspiciously as I handed her a biscuit. "I still say you want something."

"I just care. That's all," I replied with a heartfelt and unassuming smile remembering my own homeless days.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth I wanted to tell her, but didn't. Big S then asked her where she slept. "That's none of your business!" she quipped. That was smart I thought. The first rule of being homeless is to never reveal your campsite or sleeping spot. It is the only privacy you have and the choice spots are always cherished. I couldn't find Ferret's new campsite until he showed me.

It wasn't long until George came roaring into the parking lot with a car load of patrons for their shopping. George was already busily nursing a bottle of cheap wine as he chomped on a cigar.

"Great!" Rosa said sarcastically at his arrival.

George acted like he didn't even know me as he talked to Big S and Clara. It kind of hurt my feelings. Rosa was glad and said I needed to stay away from him anyway. I don't know what was wrong with George, but I do think Rosa had a hand in it.

"What did you tell George?" I asked as we walked back to Rosa's house a while later so I could drive home.

"I didn't say a word," Rosa replied innocently as she shrugged her shoulders.

I still say she has said something to him and is hiding it from me. News travels fast within the gang and secrets are hard kept. I don't need my girlfriend babysitting me and my relationships. Time will tell just what transpired. I do know George treated me far differently than he ever has and it makes me suspicious.

15 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

Be careful. It's not fun when someone special tries to get in the middle of all your friendships. It's happened to me before. It sucked.

Deborah said...

Just stopping in to say "hi"!

Josie Two Shoes said...

Maybe he was just upset that you wouldn't agree to go out drinking with him when he called the other day. I want to believe that Rosa wouldn't interfere in your relationships, that is definitely not an ok thing to do. Give her the benefit of the doubt unless proven otherwise - you and I both tend to jump to conclusions when our feelings are hurt. She is probably right that George isn't good for you, but I think you handle him just fine, and I love how you remember what it feels like to be homeless and share a little caring with them. Too many people forget where they come from. You are a good person and a good friend!

kerry said...

Your words have flow. I was captured from the frist sentence. Even though this is my first visit, I am interested in the cast of characters and my curiosity is piqued as to tomorrows entry.

It's nice to see there are still real writing blogs here on blogger.

Thank you for yur contribution

Mick Bright Kim said...

How are you?

Robert said...

George is a hopeless alkie and is abusive. Why would you want him as a friend?

frobisher said...

Hello! found your blog by hitting the "next blog" button. Read a few posts and enjoyed them.

Have a few issues myself, so it was a positive thing for me finding your blog.

Stacy said...

I completely believe Rosa. I think that if she said something to George she would tell you. She doesn't strike me as the type of person that would keep that from you.... Hope you have a great day :)

Stacy said...

Oops, I've been meaning to tell you that I like the picture :)

Amanda said...

Sounds like the rules of homelessness are the same the world over.

C.A. said...

Please try to give Rosa the benefit of the doubt. Who knows what Georges problem is today. It could be he's not happy with you about not going to Pookies the other night, or jealous that you have your life on the right track. Or maybe he was just having a bad day. Faulting Rosa out of the gate may not be the right tact to take. It sounds like she only wants the best for you.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I do agree with Abba here. Rosa may mean well, but she should allow you to pick your own and fight your own battles. It's great to have someone looking out for you, but like you said, you don't need a babysitter..and if anyone thinks that by keeping you away from any bad habits so to speak, that doesn't necessarily mean you won't act out on your own impulses.
No matter how hard people (speaking from my own experiences) try to control anothers life, if someone's going to do something "bad" They're going to do it whether they're being controlled or not.

But remember, she does mean well..
It was nice seeing you write "girlfriend." You deserve it.
Now go home with Rosa and have a nice "play rain day already!!" :)
hee-hee,
always,
Crusty~

Ellie said...

How kind of you to keep caring for that woman. You must experience it first-hand to truly understand. As for your friend, I don't know what to tell you. Trust your instincts.

Edward Foster said...

Looks like you still suffer from mental illness, moron.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Andrew,
Did it rain in your house today? :)
Hope that you and Rosa had a great day. I look forward to reading more tomorrow..you with your grand breakfast ala 4th, and I with left over crumbs from my son's muffin..with my 6cups of coffee and my outside smokes. :)
Always,
Crusty~