Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Only a Day Away

I have my favorite fleece pull-over on. It's chilly in here after a restful night of sleep. I am going about my morning rituals with just me and the Maggie. My little Chewbacca. Clothes are gathered and put in the washer. Breakfast is cooked over my new stove which brings me joy in just using it. The bed is made with crisp sheets and silky soft covers and comforters. Maggie is then let out for her morning run and carries her favorite plush toy around the yard like some fallen hero. This is the usual me - the me without the trappings of a relationship and the exciting stories of George and the gang. Just my daily life going about it's business. It is comforting.

Speaking of George and the gang. I got a call from George earlier in the week that I never wrote about. I didn't want to belabor my readers with incessant babbling about my urge to drink and how George brings out that evil, alcoholic side of me. He had called to invite me out to the lake for a cookout. "We're having plenty of beer, burgers, and momma's baked beans," George had said. It was so tempting, but I knew I would still be drinking a week later from one simple cookout. I have no self control when it comes to imbibing. I am all or nothing. "Heard from Big S or Ferret?" I asked. "Last I heard Ferret is homeless again and Big S is hanging out over at Givorn's grocery everyday," George replied. I hated to hear that about Ferret. My old, less thought worthy, self would go running to champion his cause of gaining a home. I later realized I couldn't be the savior for my often homeless friend. Bouts of drinking intermixed with not taking his medications always had the same result: unemployment and homelessness. He never learns.

Heat advisories are out for us today. I was just thinking of my friend, Cheryl, and her vacation to Edisto Island. Warm, shell scattered beaches and cool, inviting ocean waters sound so tempting. I have been promising Rosa that I am going to take her to the beach soon. I keep telling her we are going to wait until the fall when the crowds are gone and the temperatures are more acceptable. "You're not bullshitting me about going?" Rosa will often ask when we get on this subject. I have to reassure her that I have a grand plan in mind. I also have to save up some money. Still, it is so tempting to just jump in the car and be at the ocean by day's end. One of the joys of living so close to the beautiful Gulf Coast. Be patient Rosa. The beach awaits us soon.

14 comments:

abbagirl74 said...

I saw the ocean for the first time last year when we went on a Disney cruise to the Bahamas. My kid was completely overjoyed and brings it up at least once a month.

Suzie said...

I love the early morning time when it is still and quiet. Few people awake with the sun just starting its rise.

I'm glad you didn't go to the cook out....

CRUSTYBEEF said...

ohhhhhh, Mr. 4th,.......you shouldn't inhibite your tremendous writing ability because of concern about us and you writing your trivals of drinking..I respect that part of you-your honest words.
I think it's rude of George though to invite you over for beers when he knows well enough that you're all or nothing with that. That's like me asking someone that is pregnant to come over for sushi-why tempt them with something they are supposed to be eating (although sushi is so yummi!!)

I have no doubt in my mind that one day you will be with Rosa where the world meets at your toes by way of water and seagulls.

Always,
Crusty~

Barb said...

Shame on George, but I think his invite was out of hospitality, and not because he was insensitive.

I was 9 months pregnant, at a party, and was passed a blunt--the passer of it did it because he was stoned, not because he wished to see a pregnant women sick!

Enjoy your day, and smile that George and the gang still love you!

B~

Dana said...

When I was a kid, we used to visit Panama City Beach almost every summer as my grandfather had a beach house there.

It was about a five hour drive from our house to the beach, but that is minor compared to what we drive nowdays to visit my family down south.

I miss the Gulf. I like it much better than the Atlantic or Pacific.

Portia said...

cheryl's trip has got me dreaming of the beach too...
i'm glad it was a restful night! here's to another.

Anonymous said...

I identify with your fears and your drinking pattern.

http:\\www.aa.org

it saved my life...

LAB said...

You know my kids think that I'm funny when in the middle of the summer I pull on my sweatshirt at night to sleep in. They just don't understand that sometimes Mommies get cold...lol But to see someone write they they have a fleece sweater on in August..makes me hot...LOL

Enjoy your trip to the beach...I'm so jealous.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for thinking of me. I wish everyone could know the magic of this place. Today we floated in the creek with our toes running along the bottom. The pluff mud felt like thick pudding. We grabbed handfuls and it was rich and dark. Tiny snails were atangle in the wonderful mud. Shrimp were jumping. I felt like an alligator with just my nose and eyes above the water. It was the only way to stay cool. I am so happy here.

Summer said...

Find a way to go to the beach. I know that you'll love being there with Rosa.

Tee said...

Good for you--skipping the party with the beer! Stay strong.

The first time I ever saw the ocean I must have been about ten years old. My dad never took a vacation, but had promised us we would "go to the ocean". Panama City, FL was not very populated in those days, the beach was beautiful and we thought it was the grandest place ever. The gulf coast has the best beaches!

Anonymous said...

samenixo@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

samenixo@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

o very nice
luccianopavarroti@hotmail.com
luccianopavarroti@hotmail.com
luccianopavarroti@hotmail.com