Monday, August 20, 2007

Two Gray Rooms

On rainy days I watch overcast movies like Star Wars. It's the ultimate rainy day trilogy; the way grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are the rainy day meal. Full of conflict that ends with a triumphant overcoming of evil. Another good rainy day movie is the Goonies. That is just the way it is. I love the smell of the rain and how dark it gets in the middle of the day. I will find myself turning on lamps like it is late evening. I love when thunder puts Maggie on full alert. She will sit on the back of the couch guarding the windows, her ears erect as if she had seen someone walking by.

We haven't had much rain lately and I am missing those rainy days. My father will always call me to talk about the weather as he makes breakfast for supper. "You must be in your element," he will say as I hear eggs frying over the the phone. The pop and crackle of frying bacon will evoke a thousand rainy day memories of him doing this always when I was a child. Everyone who really knows me, knows I am happiest on rainy days. They are an excuse to be lazy and indulgent -- full of sex and sloth.

The forecast looks bleak for the days ahead. Not one chance of rain for the foreseeable future. The weather guessers say we are in a drought. I've heard it before. Just like most things in life, you can't always have what you want. Me and Rosa will just have to make our own faux rainy day. Joni Mitchell on repeat playing Two Gray Rooms. Breakfast for supper after curling up on the couch and watching movies all day. Writhing in the sheets as we make love with abandon. I think it is going to be a good day. Now, if I can just get Rosa to cooperate.

6 comments:

solopoesie said...

Com much pleasure I have visited yours blog and has a beautiful profile. only that and be possibilew to read to me what you write because I do not know the language, and me dispiace tantissimo because I love the reading, I understand English scarcely. I introduce myself, I call Angela and are Italian. Mine blog and only poetries, not to much piaccione the poetries, but if you want to come in mine blog to visit it of I would be happy. And much beautiful one to create a virtual relationship of friendships in blogger, at least in the festifità we can exchange the auguries, than you say some? From the!!! you come I expected. Ciaoo!!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

hahah, cute Andrew-I'm sure you can persuade Rosa to join you in a faux rainy day routin..it's good practice for when the rain does come.
Here's to a good morning (I am now raising my coffee mug to you!)
Always,
Crusty~

Meeg said...

Goonies is a great rainy day movie. It's been a long time since I've watched that.

Barb said...

I would love drought like weather, right about now. We (up in PA) have absolutely enough rain to last us a year! However, if time allowed, your rainy day passions sounds attractive. I wish you rain and of course protection from that rain, when it comes!

Enjoy your day!

Barb

Stacy said...

Hope you have a great Day Andrew! I'm off to make a grilled cheeese sandwich (thanks to you) lol.

Portia said...

reminds me of the time my husband and i were expecting a large snow storm to snow us in...we got so caught up in the idea that it was very disppointing when the snow stopped after only a couple of inches. we had a snowed-in day anyway...accompanied by the tunes of van morrison. it was awesome.
have a wonderful day!