Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Fever Breaks

Blearily, I awoke this morning to stumble into the kitchen. Breakfast was some of Rosa's leftover chicken corn chowder. Rosa awoke and curled up on the couch to watch some television. Maggie was barking in the backyard at some perceived threat. I was freezing cold and put on a pull-over.

"Aren't you hot?" Rosa asked as I walked past to go out on the porch.

"I think my fever broke overnight and now I am cold."

"Come here and let me feel your forehead," she said.

My forehead was cold and clammy to the touch.

"You feel up to doing something today?" Rosa then asked.

"I would like to get out of the house," was my reply.

We decided to eat lunch at the diner and go hang out down at the shopping center for a few hours as we conversed and smoked our cigarillos. I was interested in talking to that homeless woman again and see if she wanted a ride down to Columbus, Georgia to the Rescue Mission. It would be a long drive, but Rosa would love to go by the mall and eat at Piccadilly's cafeteria for dinner.

I feel much better this morning making me think I had a twenty-four hour bug. Now I hope Rosa doesn't get this crud. She has been over here for two days breathing the same air and germs as I. Here is to hoping her constitution is better than mine.

I got another call from George last night.

"Just wanted to see if you wanted to come play poker over at Pookie's tonight," he said over the phone.

"You know I don't hang around that crap," was my honest reply. "I am also pretty sick."

George's girlfriend, Pookie, is a known drug user and the cohorts she hangs out with are nefarious characters. There is always a big crowd in front of her house on the porch drinking, smoking, and talking. Also, I would be the only white guy there and when a bunch of shady black guys get drunk they tend to get combative and take out their repressed past and aggressions upon me. All in all, a good time would not have been had by all. I thanked George for the sentiment and told him good night as I got off the phone.

17 comments:

Melissa said...

Andrew

I am s glad that you are up and running again. I am sorry that you had to get sick but aleast your body was able to fight it off very quickly.

I am also happy to hear how you and Rosa are doing great together. As long as your are happy we (readers) are happy for you as well. Remember to always keep us updated on the news of you and Rosa. I am so happy for you because now you know that you can love again. Good luck in your new relationship.

Melissa

justLacey said...

Glad you're feeling better and I hope Rosa stays well also. I used to love Picadilly's. I think my bug came from a meal I ate at Craker Barrel on Thursday night. Luckily no one else seems to have gotten it so far as we all ate different things. Take it easy and feel better.
Lacey

Summer said...

I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Have fun today!

fiwa said...

Glad you're feeling a little better already. Sounds like you & Rosa have a good day planned. Enjoy -
fiwa

Pen and the Sword said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

ian gordon said...

Left over chicken?? Asking for problems...

Anonymous said...

Are you for real? For some reason it feels like this is all written by an extremely prolific writer who lives a fantasy tale on the internet!

esteban lob said...

Best wishes from Chile.

regina said...

Hope you'll feel better soon :)

Erika-Nicole said...

This is the 3rd time I've come across your blog. Your biography caught my attention. I do think I'd buy your books. I love the clean and crisp feeling of your writings. It reminds me of something I'd read in an English class. Great work!

Windrider said...

Hi Andrew,

I found your site just cruising along on the "next blog " button.

I'm blown away by your strength, honesty, and clarity.. I've suffered from depression and anxiety for years and never seen anyone with as much brass as you.

My blog is rife with vulgarity,profanity, and grumblings. But you are welcome anytime, Andrew..

I'm adding you to my blogroll.


Welcome, Brother..

Matt

Admin said...

Great blog you have here, by the way would you check my blog at http://avilesnews.blogspot.com
and check it out and if you register for my RSS feed i'll do the same for you
and register for yours, also if you want to exchange links we can do that
also to improve our Page Rank. Thanks.

Admin,
http://avilesnews.blogspot.com

Dex said...

Hello andrew. Just dropping by to your page. I don't know if you can still remember me. You helped me with my template a few months ago. Thanks a lot and now I settled with my new template....be safe buddy...

STAG said...

Hey anon, why would you question this? What makes you think Andrew is living in a fantasy world on the internet? Why do you suppose he would choose "Andrew"? And what makes you think he could make this shit up?

Just askin'.

(oh, and I don't allow anonymous comments on MY blog...grin! so if you want to respond, ya gotta stand up like a man and show ya got a pair.)

Cheryl said...

HI Andrew,

Catch up time for me again. I'm so glad that your fever has broken. I hope you're feeling so much better tomorrow. I miss you.

2 The World U R 1 Person, 2 1 Person U R The World said...

Glad to read you're feeling better.

L

CRUSTYBEEF said...

that's good that the fever broke..I'm glad you had Rosa to nurse you back to health so to speak.
Take it easy and here's to hoping that Rosa doesn't catch your nasty bug.
Always,
Crusty~