Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Dating Life

Rosa and me went out on a date last night. I took her to one of those firm bars and then we went to an art store for me to pick up some sketching and drawing supplies. Rosa drank a very healthy margarita and became giddy as we laughed and laughed. She can be so serious and it was pleasing to me for her to let her hair down. I drank sweet tea and had to experience her flush of inebriation vicariously. I would probably still be sitting at the bar early this morning if I had imbibed.

We then took a long drive out to God's country on our night ride home. Lynnard Skynnard was playing on the radio and I felt like a grand duo of rednecks exploring the backwoods. The only thing missing was cans of beer and country music. We spent the rest of the drive home talking about the beach and what we were going to do as I dodged deer in the car.

"We ought to do this more often," Rosa said as we traveled through the woods in a blur.

"I would like that," I replied optimistically, hoping my social anxieties would cooperate.

I am not much one for going out. It reminds me too much of my ex-wife and her insatiable urge to eat out every meal which exhausted me and forever spoiled the pleasure of dining out for me. I am finding dining out with Rosa to be a far different experience, though. She appreciates and savors the experience. I really should treat her more often.

13 comments:

A girl on a mission.... said...

I hear ya about the dinning out issue. It can be such a chore to cook sometimes...but, when you leave the dinning out for a special treat- it makes that meal taste even better. The spices and the flavours are heightened to another level.

Check out my site. I'm on a mission to lose 100 pounds!


http://dietingbattle.blogspot.com/

C.A. said...

It's so great that you two went out and treated yourselves! The ride in the country sounds enticing, too. I love that you want to take Rosa out again. :) I would hate for your ex and all of the entrapments of the past to affect your here and now. You and Rosa seem so very good together.

Hugs...

Cindi Ann

Teri said...

Nice Blog :)

Candy~ said...

Andrew.
I love your writing and that you are trying so hard to stay sober. You're doing a wonderful job!
Thank you,
Candy

mr zig said...

sounds like a fantastic evening!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like last night was a nice change of pace for you and Rosa. What is a firm bar? I've never heard that expression.

Hope today's a good one for you. This is our 3rd day of nice, cloudy weather here. Still in the 70's. Saturday will find us back in the high 90's. Crazy August up here.

Josie Two Shoes said...

What a lovely evening, and what a wonderful treat for Rosa, I'm sure getting to enjoy special times like this and being treated like a lady is a rare experience in her life. It is awesome that you stepped beyond your comfort zone to do this for her - and for you - and also that you could go there and allow her to enjoy a drink without feeling the compulsion to have one yourself. You've come a long, long way Andrew - WOW!!

Blue said...

Does eating out have to be at a restaurant? Can't you grab something to go or prepare it at home ahead of time and go out somewhere nice before it gets too cold and just enjoy being outside? Sounds like you had fun. You should try it again. :)

Stacy said...

Sounds like it was the perfect date night!

Portia said...

sounds like a good time:) it's so nice to hear the contentment in your words when you tell about your relationship with Rosa. major kudos on staying sober.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I'm glad you guys had a good date night.
If social anxiety gets the best of you, perhaps you could plan a date night on a blanket in your home with a dinner picnic. But don't tell her where it is. Just draw up an invitation, advising her to be ready at x time, pick her up, blindfold her and take her back to your home, where you provide her with a delicious passionate feeding each other food, date night meal..with candles (careful of fires!!) and non alcoholic wine or just a precious blanket with food ala 4th Style.
Always,
Crusty~
Can you tell I don't get out much?

nameless to protect the innocent said...

I very much enjoy your words. I hope you don't mind that I've added you to my daily reading.....

Anonymous said...

What a nice outing for the both of you. Great job of staying sober. Of course, ice tea is southern table wine. :-) Only us southerners can appreciate that. Try having a candlelight dinner on your screened porch, or a picnic down by the river. You don't have to eat out to have a date, just a nice romantic evening together. I know Rosa is just thrilled to be treated like a lady. Andrew, you are a real jewel.