Sunday, August 19, 2007

Midnight Oil

I do my best writing late at night and early in the morning. That purgatory of the day when most others are sound asleep, curled up with their loved ones. I'm pecking away upon this keyboard burning the midnight oil. Coast to Coast AM is on the radio and Maggie is preening upon the floor. I lift a cup of hot, milky sweet coffee to my lips in between paragraphs and savor the taste and aroma. Lit cigars and wafting blue smoke complete the ambiance -- the air in my computer room a foggy haze. I feel like some strange Steven King laboring upon his next bestseller. The words just seem to come at an ease unbeknownst during the day.

My best friend in high school wrote beautiful poetry. She would sit in our English class writing and would hand me what she wrote. Her way with words always made me jealous. She would go on to forego a career as a writer to join the Army out of high school. I thought that was such a waste. She taught me how to put emotion and feeling into my writings. It seems we are taught to disguise our emotions as if we are imposing on others. Her poems were filled with angst, joy, love lost, and love lorn. Her writings were an experience and not just mere words on a page. I often think of her when I write. Anybody can write down what they did today, but it takes a writer to make you feel it.

My mother called me last night just to talk. The conversation was heartwarming...

"Julia asked what you do these days," she said.

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her you're a writer and actually make money at it."

"Tell her I want her to come smoke on my porch and read some of my writings."

"I will tell her Monday night," mom said. "She is so proud of you."

For the longest time, I never thought of myself as a writer. I thought of myself as a "blogger." Hearing mom say it last night was so exciting. To think my parents are telling people such things.

"What should I tell them when they ask what you write?"

"Non-fiction," I replied. "I have found that is more understandable than just saying I am a blogger."

A moment ago I looked at the top 100 most popular blogs on Technorati. None of them were written by writers in my opinion. They were all pop culture, regurgitated news, technology gossip, politics, or other subjects I would consider mind numbingly boring. I realized then that I would never have a popular blog because I don't write about such nonsense. My writings are going to appeal to a very small cross section of blog readers. Those with mental illness or addiction struggles will be drawn. Still, it will be interesting to see where this will take me. Could it open doors? Could my prolific eagerness in which I write pay off? I certainly do try to hone my skills as a writer on a daily basis. Only time will tell as the old saying goes. Only time will tell...

9 comments:

madamspud169 said...

I think you are selling both yourself & your blog short. I think your blog will be enjoyed by anyone who has emotions & that has an interest in others & in society.
I have never been homeless, I have never even been drunk & apart from bouts of depression I've never had psych problems but even though we have nothing in common I find myself eagerly checking for the next post, your blog makes me look at things in a new way & I understand (I like to think) homelessness a little better.
Your blog deserves to be on everyones list because besides teaching the majority of us about things we have no experience of it is also extremely well written, I can almost feel the emotion emanating out of my monitors screen.
You should be proud.

Jenn said...

I love your blog. You ARE a writer...
I, too, have a little chrub named Maggie. Stay safe so you can be there for her. And for us.

Cheryl said...

I don't think I could say it any better than madamspud169. Your blog is so readable. You really bring us along on the road that is your life. I enjoy your writing style and the fact that it's in this genre. I hope the writing gives you pleasure.

GoldentoSilverVal said...

I am proud of you, Andrew, for pouring out the beer, which I know was extremely difficult for you to do. I am also glad to see that you DO love yourself; please....never stop. Before you can love others, you must love yourself. Rosa is right about George. He IS a bad influence. She's NOT jealous. George wants to pull you down so he will have company while he's killing himself. One of the best things you could do is stay away from all your old haunts and old associates who haven't tried to better themselves. I'm so glad you have Rosa...because she TRULY does understand. Should Rosa stumble, I'm sure you will be there for her as she is for you. Bless you and keep loving yourself.

M said...

I hope that the regurgitated gossipy blogs written by organizations do not squeeze out the ordinary person writing on the net. That is the best part of the blogs: real people writing what they feel!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

you are a writer and it is only a matter of time before you go global!! :)
I enjoy the warmth and passion and honesty as I've repeated most likely one too many times..
your name will be in lights someday!
Always,
Crusty~

macumba said...

I can't say it as well as madamspud169, but I am neither ill nor an alcoholic and I really enjoy your blog. You should try to believe more in yourself and please keep writing.

C. R. Morris said...

Ha! I've noticed the same about the top blogs. I work daily to improve mine and though I do write ads for Pay Per Post, I try to make even the shortest entries worth the read. I've been told that people like my writing style and sense of humor in return. Your blog is very popular among those who count.. US! LOL Seriously, there are very few that I like to visit daily and you know you're one of them. You are a writer the blog is your medium. Bloggers just BLAHg. <----that is not meant to be offensive to anyone.. just something goofy.

Rene' AKA MidnightWriter

DraMa said...

Even though it's been awhile since my last comment, I'm still here Andrew.

This was a wonderful post. Just the thing I needed to read to get back in tune with you. I have a lot of catching up to do.

I hope you are well Andrew.