Saturday, February 13, 2010

Helen Saves the Day!!!

I was standing in mom and dad’s kitchen yesterday morning before the snow started when Helen began to read dad’s grocery list.

“Oh no!” Helen said abruptly. “We’re not having Hamburger Helper.  Mr. John just has never eaten it.  He doesn’t know what it’s like.”

Helen then turned to me.

“What do you want for supper, baby?” Helen asked.

“You pick!” I replied, excited at this turn of events.

Helen decided on pork loin, creamed potatoes, snap beans, giant lima beans, cornbread, green salad w/ homemade Ranch dressing, and pear salad.  I watched as she reached into the kitchen drawer containing the envelope that usually has $75 to $100 in it for Helen to buy groceries.  Off to the grocery store she went and I drove on home after checking on mom.

Helen came by in the snow storm to bring me my meal after she cooked.

“Thank you so much, Helen,” I said, thanking her profusely. “This weather is terrible to drive in.”

“You enjoy your meal, baby,” she said as she smiled ear to ear and then left.

Dad later came by to give me my medications and said, “I’ve got the maid from hell!  She won’t even cook what I want for supper!”  I laughed and laughed knowing I was in on the game.  Helen had saved the day.

8 comments:

This IS The Fun Part! said...

I think after the years Helen has spent taking care of all of you, she feels it's best to do what she knows is good for her "children". Ask Mrs. Florene - I bet she'll agree! Besides, one taste of that stuff and he would be yelling about how Helen was trying to poison him ! LOL!

Love,
Grannie

Summer said...

Tell your dad he can make some for lunch over the weekend. It only takes a few minutes. I see that Helen is the reasonable one. Ha!

forsythia said...

Looks like Helen's home-cooked meal includes lots of fruit and vegetables. She knows what she's doing.

Stephany said...

Sounds like a good dinner! My kids when they were teens used to make Lasagne flavored Hamburger helper with garlic bread.

Anonymous said...

i am glad that helen did not cook the hamburger helper. your dad could fix it for lunch this weekend. if he really wants to try it. i am glad that you enjoyed the snow. i am still in from it and probably will be for a few more days plus it is supposed to snow again on sunday and monday.. liz

becomingkate said...

I had Hamburger Helper last night, but that was the first time in years. It's terrible for you! Very salty...

joyous melancholy said...

God bless that woman! Good for her!

kristi said...

My daughter and I are drooling over this meal.. YUM!