Saturday, February 27, 2010

Helen’s Cornbread and Corn Pudding…

Corn Bread…

corn-bread-after Helen says you need a seasoned iron skillet for the recipe to turn out well.  There are web pages on how to season a new iron skillet using a hot oven and oil.  Her recipe was surprisingly simple.

  • 1 cup self rising cornmeal
  • 1 cup Bavarian style full fat buttermilk.  (Helen assured me you can get this at any Wal-Mart in the South.  Substitute low fat regular buttermilk if you can’t find it she said.  It just won’t be as rich.)
  • 1/2 cup Crisco shortening.  (to be melted and added to the cornmeal and buttermilk batter)

Pour in skillet and cook at 450 degrees for 22 minutes exactly.  This makes one small skillet.  Double the recipe for a larger skillet.

Corn Pudding…

  • Corn_Pudding_500 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter
  • 1 (11-ounce) can Niblets corn, 1/4 cup of the liquid reserved
  • 1 (15-ounce) can creamed corn.
  • 1 cup sour cream.
  • 1 (8 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy.
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten

Prehead oven to 425 degrees.  Spray or wipe a casserole dish baking dish lightly with oil.  In a large bowl, combine the butter, Niblets with liquid, and creamed corn.  Stir in the muffin mix, sour cream, and eggs. Pour into casserole and cook until golden brown on top.  It usually takes 30 to 35 minutes she said.  

8 comments:

Lena said...

I make that corn pudding every Thanksgiving. YUM-O!

glittermom said...

I am so making that corn pudding..I like my corn bread on the sweet side...I see Helen does not add any sugar..

glittermom said...

You need to get Georges mothers corn bread recipe so we can compare them...I'm sure everyone has their own variations...

Joy Heather said...

I wish i could try this it sounds lovely..but here in the u.k. we dont have some of those ingredients, unless they are called something different over here.?

justLacey said...

I have never had corn pudding, so I am anxious to try that. I love corn bread hot from the oven, sweet or not.

joyous melancholy said...

I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe - thanks for posting this! I'd love to see recipes for your mom's, and Mrs. Florene's, and Charlie's wife's, to compare. I can't wait to try this - I wonder if WalMart in CA has the right buttermilk?

alphabet soup said...

Hi Andrew

Thanks for posting Helen's
cornbread recipes and thanks to Helen for passing them on.

I have already pulled up the USA Foods website here to see what they have in store.

Some items are not readily available in our supermarkets but I will get what I can and be inventive with the rest!!

Ms Soup

Jenn said...

You know, I can't find any buttermilk here in NH! I think I can make some by adding vinegar to whole milk. I remember reading that somewhere.