Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Mentally Ill of the Night…

Mom called last night at midnight.

“I just wanted to see how you are doing,” she said, sniffling.

Did mom not realize it was midnight?  We keep weird hours us mentally ill folks. 

“I’m fine,” I said sleepily having been asleep for two hours.  “I like it when you call me just to talk and you’re not fretting over some situation or problem.”

Mom has been very, very sick.  We’re all trying not to catch whatever she has.  The obsessive compulsive in me frets every early morning I go to get my Cokes and I pick up that plastic sack she puts on the porch.  It’s got mom’s germs all over it! 

Mom went on to tell me she fell down the steps to the basement yesterday morning.

“I was delirious from my cold and lost my footing,” she said. “Your father thought he was going to have to call 911.  We thought I had broke my hip.”

“Mom!” I exclaimed. “You’ve got to be more careful!”

“The room just started to spin and down I went.”

“What’s Maggie doing?” mom then asked.

“She’s lying on the bed with me licking her paws and scratching various itches,” I replied. “Maggie has rituals, too, and we have to preen before bed.”

“Well, I will let you go,” mom said. “I just wanted to see what you were up to.  Give Maggie a goodnight hug for me.”

“Goodnight,” I said and hung up the phone.

It was a surreal night.  I remember later waking up around 3 AM and Maggie was going wild with my socks on the computer room floor.  Socks were being tossed everywhere.  I remember smiling and saying, “you get those damn socks, girl!”  I finally drifted off back to sleep. 

6 comments:

justLacey said...

Happy Valentines Day Andrew!
I am glad your mom was alright and not too banged up. When I didn't work I kept strange hours too. Bed early and up in the middle of the night. It never bothered me too much because I knew my schedule was flexible. Now it panics me when this happens and I know I have to get up for work (at a job I really hate). I hope today is quiet and enjoyable for you and Maggie.

Andrew said...

Lacey,

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, dearest! I made up this elaborate schedule the other day to better organize my days since I don't work. It lasted one day. I seem to prefer to just meander through my days doing whatever my fancy catches me. I would be fretting, too, if I had to work with my weird sleeping schedule! Have a great day!

Andrew

Summer said...

Happy Valentines Day Andrew.

Joy Heather said...

Yes Happy Valentines Day Andrew..did you have any cards ?...i suppose i'm too lomg in the tooth(Old) to give it much thought nowadays..but i saw a couple of cards my grandaughter had. I am sorry your Mom has been poorly and that she had a bad night..hope she feels better very soon..I'm sure your Mom would be so careful with the things she was giving to you..she wouldn't want you to suffer at all..thats part of o.c.d. as well..i bet she washes her hands about 20 times before she puts those things outside...look after yourself Andrew and Love to Maggie..Joy

justLacey said...

Andrew, just enjoy your schedule. That is what I will be doing when the Census ends and I am unemployed again. The job market is terrible here and I will probably be looking for quite a while. I am going to enjoy my kids and my life and my weird schedulel until that ends.

Happyone :-) said...

I am so sorry to hear that your mom fell down the stairs. Glad she didn't get hurt!
Hope your mom is feeling better real soon.
A late Happy Valentine's Day to you!