Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Worst of Both of Them…

My father is a very dominant person.  Charlie says he’s a mean son of a bitch when he wants to be.  He once hit Charlie in the mouth during an argument.   “I fight with words.  You fight with your fists,” Charlie told him rubbing his mouth astonished.   Well, dad pissed me off yesterday and much to his surprise, I told him so despite his reputation.  It was late in the afternoon and I thought I would get taking my medications over early.  I was feeling kind of iffy.  I called mom.

“Can I come take my medications?” I asked mom.

Mom asked dad out of earshot.

“He says he’s too tired from working in the yard to fool with that right now,” she replied.

I hung up.  I was pissed.  It was as if I was some nonentity.  A nobody.  He would have driven to Birmingham for my sister right then if she called and said she needed him. 

To my surprise, he was over at my house within the hour to administer our medication and Maggie’s food ritual. 

“I’m pissed at you,” I said with a mean look on my face after we had sat down.

“Why?” he asked, looking astonished – astonished at my aggressiveness.  I am usually very submissive. 

“You know you would have given my sister her medications if she called,” I said haughtily.

“I’m sorry son,” he told me surprising me.  I was expecting a fight. “I moved 12 wheel barrow loads of dirt out of the drainage ditch in the backyard today.  I overdid it and am exhausted.”

Well, then I felt like a schmuck – a very big schmuck.  Dad really did look exhausted.  “Always just thinking of yourself,” I thought of myself.

Dad then laughed.  “You surprise me sometimes,” he said. “You’ve got a lot of your mother in you, but you’ve got a lot of me as well!”

“I got the worst of both of you dammit!!!!” I exclaimed. “I am doomed.”

We both laughed and laughed and dad gave me a big hug as he was leaving.  “Love you, son,” he said. “I love you, too, dad,” I replied back.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you stuck up for yourself. liz

Cheryl said...

This was heartwarming :)

becomingkate said...

I love it when things go that way. I'm glad you spoke up as well.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

You have just as much right to voice your opinion as he does! You may have to depend on him for a lot of things, but he can still treat you with respect. You may have just earned some of that respect by telling him exactly how you felt.

Good for you, Andrew!

Love,
Grannie

Leann said...

All's well that ends well Andrew :-)

Joy Heather said...

I am glad that you stuck up for yourself Andrew,respect is a two way thing..i think in the long run your Dad will understand that even though he is good to you..he has to return your respect...I was sad that he actually struck George..a verbal argument is a two way thing..but IF George had decided to treat your Dad accordingly it could have been nasty..credit to George for not retaliating...but at least its all ok and peaceful now, thats got to be a good thing.