Thursday, December 16, 2004

A busy day comes to an end…….

Much has happened today and I am glad to see the sun go down and the day draw to a close. This evening I needed just some time for Jonathon so I fixed a big percolator full of coffee and smoked my pipe as I caught up on my favorite British television shows. I feel refreshed and renewed after a much needed ritual.

This morning I walked down to the Pig to buy some bacon and a fresh loaf of bread. I had my great aunt coming to stay with me tonight and I needed something for breakfast. I have gotten out of the habit of fixing and eating breakfast lately and usually just drink a pot of strong coffee.

The cold weather has chased all of but the most dedicated Piggly Wiggly groupies inside for the time being. Cap with Tag was on the job and busily peddling his usual wares despite the cold. I have said before that he is like Silent Bob of the movie Clerks as he never utters a word. I have also described him as the most dedicated crack dealer in America. Today he actually spoke to me and it took me by surprise.

I walked up past the flea market and he was leaned against the wall listening to his walkman. As I passed, he nodded his head in greeting and said…….

“Whazzup!”

I retorted back with a, “Not much man, not much.”

He quickly went back to listening to his walkman and shaking and nodding his head to the beat. The tag on his cap was dancing wildly around to the rhythm.

My volunteering session today was mostly uneventful. I do feel a certain tension in the air as Christmas approaches with the clients. There were several heated exchanges between the young black lady at the reception area and several persons. The agitated persons felt they were being neglected by the “system”. I can understand their sentiment.

It seems that Christmas is a hard time for many and not the season of giving and receiving. Old family tensions arise and old wounds and hurts reemerge. It can be especially hard on the mentally ill as many of us are already on the fringes of society. It is as if we are standing on one side of a glass panel watching Christmas unfold and can’t participate. I am lucky this season and so far Christmas is proving to be beneficial for me.

This evening I drove to Waverly Alabama to pick up my Great Aunt. She was in an unusually chipper mood but as always talked about who had died that week. My father affectionately calls her the walking obituaries.

“Elnora died last night in the nursing home.” She said.

“Oh, I hate to hear that about Elnora. She was a kind lady.” I replied.

“Her husband Crawford was in the hospital for a hernia when she died.” She replied.

“I hate to hear that about Crawford as well. He is a good man.” I replied.

“You know Crawford has a daughter who lives in Camp Hill. Did you know that?” She replied.

“No, I didn’t and I have known Crawford since I was a little boy.” I replied.

“They no longer speak and are estranged. I wonder if she will come to the funeral.” Myrtis responded.

Thus went our conversation about these and many other individuals as we made our way to my house. It was a long 45 minutes drive. It is enough to make any man grow depressed. She is now fitfully asleep upstairs and I am not far from going to that place as well. Good night and be well.

No comments: