Thursday, December 02, 2004

Times gone by……

“You think I look okay?” Rachel asked.

“I think you look gorgeous.” I replied as I swiped the hair out of in front of her eyes and put on her glasses.

We sat on the couch waiting to go. It was a sad time and a time I do not want to remember. Rachel stood up and walked to the mirror to survey her dress and her appearance.

“Doll, you look wonderfully fine. You are beautiful.” I said trying to reassure her.

“I just want your family to accept me. I don’t want Jennifer (my sister in law) to out dress me.” Rachel replied.

I sat there with tears in my eyes pondering the experience I was about to undertake. So many memories were at the forefront of my mind. Could I be a man? Could I not cry like a child? I hoped so and put on my best front.

“You ready to go?” I asked Rachel as she continued to preen herself in front of the mirror.

“I am ready. You okay?” She replied.

I thought she would never ask. Today was the funeral of one of the most special persons in my life; my father’s mother, Mrs. Sally Lou Minter. I was her chosen one and the first grand child.

“I am fine. We need to hit the road and head up to Waverly though.” I replied.

It was a long drive up to that little town. Rachel let me listen to talk radio instead of her usual classic rock. She was trying to be at her most understanding. I smoked many a cigarette on that long drive. Upon arriving we were greeted by Brother Ed.

“So sorry to hear about your loss. Your grandmother was a wonderful woman.” He said as he shook my hand and we made our way into the church.

I was surprised at the amount of people sitting in that little church. There were people standing along the wall. I watched as the rest of my family drew in. They sat down one by one with somber faces. The service was to start soon.

Brother Ed got in the pulpit and preached fire and brimstone and made me wince in true southern Baptist tradition. At one time he pointed at me, my brother, and sister and said, “They have to carry on the will of God as well. They are wavering from his path.” I grew angry at what he said and turned to my father.

“That son of a bitch didn’t say what he said did he?” I asked.

“Just ignore him. He was who your grandmother wanted.” My father replied.

My wife clasped my hand tightly and soon the service was over. It was time to make our way to the cemetery. I watched as my grandmother’s casket was carried out of the church into the awaiting hearse. It was a long one mile drive to the cemetery.

Upon arriving I saw my in-laws standing next to the grave. I and Rachel parked and walked slowly over to them. Terry shook my hand and Rebecca gave me a hug. It was our closest contact in me and my wife’s three year marriage.

“Thank you two for coming and being here. I appreciate it very much.” I said.

They told me condolences and were nice.

The crowd grew near as we laid this great woman to rest. A huge number of people had formed and filled the little cemetery of Waverly, Alabama. Brother Ed said a few words and we laid her to rest. The crowd dispersed as we all got in our cars to head home.

“I love you.” Rachel said as she clasped my hand. The tears were rolling down my cheeks as I got in the safe confines of our car.

“I love you too, doll.” I said as I cranked up the car and drove off towards home.

No comments: