Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Looking out at the back yard……

The neighbor’s kids are playing in my backyard as I write this. I enjoy hearing their banter and squeals of joy as they play and cajole. I enjoy the break from the solitude I have to endure for most of this week. For the longest time, they would knock on my door and ask my permission to play. I finally told them that they didn’t have to ask and were always welcome.

A moment ago, I was standing outside drawing on my pipe and enjoying the warm sunshine. The day is turning out beautiful and warm. A group of four deer came bounding through the yard and out of the little bamboo forest on the periphery. They flew across the yard between me and the kids and bounded over a six foot high hedge.

“Holy shit, did you see that?” The youngest kid cried in excitement and then clasped his hand over his mouth as he looked at me. He looked as if he had committed a carnal sin. I just had to laugh at the look on his face. His tense stance eased up when he realized I wasn’t going to get on to him. All the kids ran as fast as they could up the yard to try and catch a last glimpse at the deer but the deer were long gone.

No comments: