Tuesday, December 07, 2004

A defining moment…..

I cannot sleep. I had the TV on just for noise. I rarely watch it for entertainment. A commercial was aired with the repeated call of a whip poor will. It brought on a flash back to my homeless days and I felt a need to post about it.

Definition:

\Whip"-poor-will`\, n. (Zo["o]l.)An American bird ({Antrostomus vociferus}) allied to thenighthawk and goatsucker; -- so called in imitation of thepeculiar notes which it utters in the evening. [Written also{whippowil}.]


I will never forget those lonely cool nights where everything grew still. The only noise was of the whip poor will; a far off cry of a bird that would wander and sometimes grow closer. It was one of the most lonesome sounds that I remember from my homeless days in the woods. It sounds just as the name implies: whip poor will.

No comments: