Sunday, December 19, 2004

The Great Back Yard Camping Expedition….

I have been watching Ken Burn’s American Experience special on Georgia Public Broadcasting. It inspired me to sleep outside tonight in remembrance of the great explorers that helped found this country. They braved unspeakable hardships in the quest to find the Northwest Passage. I am speaking of Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery.

I have my tent set up and my sleeping bag and liner in place. I am going to sleep outdoors tonight and see how I fare. The predicted low tonight is supposed to be 17 degrees Fahrenheit (-8.33 Celsius). If it gets too cold, I always have my warm apartment to escape to.

I have this innate desire to keep abreast of my survival skills. I want to be prepared if I am ever homeless again. I wish I could turn back the clock and travel back in time to the days I feel that I could fit in and survive. If I had the means I would build me a cabin up in the Appalachians and live off the land. I would be so much happier living with purpose and living off the sweat of my deeds and my brow. Good night and I will report on my experience in the morning.

No comments: