Monday, December 27, 2004

Pre-Spring cleaning and a meal fit for a king…….

Not much to report today. I have spent all day on a cleaning frenzy. I washed my sheets. I mopped the kitchen and the bathroom. I cleaned out my fridge. I vacuumed my floors. I also polished all my furniture. I am not very “domestic” so this was a major accomplishment today. There is something to be said for having a completely spotless apartment. It just makes me feel better. I love the lemon smell the furniture polish emits into the air and it makes my apartment smell clean. There is also the pine scent of pine sol after mopping my floors.

I am treating myself tonight with a special meal. I am going to grill two rib eye steaks on my charcoal grill. I will complement it with a baked potato, sautéed mushrooms, a salad, and some toasted garlic barbeque bread. This is part of my Christmas as I would never normally be able to buy such expensive cuts of meat. Grilled steaks are, by far, my favorite treat.

Well, let me get back to working math problems. I am debating on whether to drop intermediate college algebra (math 100) and take elementary college algebra (math 098). The only problem is that math 098 is 4 semester hours and math 100 is 3 semester hours. That means I will have to pay an additional $90 dollars for that extra semester hour. I don’t feel comfortable asking my father for more money than he has already spent for college. He has already spent $1400 dollars and that was the majority of my Christmas.

As I work more and more problems I am realizing how math illiterate I am. I doubt my ability to be able to catch up by just studying on my own. To demonstrate my illiteracy, I am using flash cards to relearn my multiplication tables. I know I will be able to use a graphing calculator in class and in exams but this is such a basic skill that I need to know. Fourteen years is a long time and I have forgotten even the most basic principles.

No comments: