Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Christmas lights everywhere……

I just had to pound my chest and share some machismo. There is nothing more manly to me than getting out in the yard, organizing, and stringing up shit loads of Christmas lights on the hedges. It took me all afternoon but I am finished. I did this over at my parent’s house as a favor for my father. Every year he has an elaborate but tasteful display but couldn’t do it this year due to his recent illness. I have taken on little projects around his house to repay him for helping me go to college and for helping me get a home. This project turned out to be a big one and took a good part of the afternoon.

The front of the house has four very large hedges that look like Christmas trees. They go almost twenty feet up to the roof of the house. I had to use two different ladders to get all the lights strung up and my fear of heights kicked in several times. The gangly ladder would begin to wobble and a plethora of curse words would escape my mouth. I would scramble to steady myself.

The very last hedge is situated at the corner and the steepest part of the house. It was almost 30 feet up and I looked up with a gulp as I stood there pondering how to tackle this last obstacle. I extended the forty foot ladder and leaned it up against the house and climbed up to the roof to begin. It took me five stringers of lights to cover the hedge. I was never more glad to be finished than I was with that last one.

Right now I am waited for darkness to descend and I am going to walk over and check out my handy work. I wish my digital camera still worked. I would have loved to share the finished product with those who would like to see. My words and descriptions will have to suffice. Well, let me bundle up and get ready for a light show.

No comments: