Sunday, December 19, 2004

Another year is almost done……

I have a lot of spare time recently and things have slowed down in anticipation of Christmas. No volunteering this week and school doesn’t start until mid January. I am longing for some structure in my life and it is lacking lately.

Today is a case in point. I have nothing to do today and am restless. It is the end of the week and I am broke. I do spend a lot of time reading online and off but my eyes grow tired and constantly being online can give me a headache. I am struggling with things to do today and have grown bored and restless. My apartment is clean. All my clothes are washed and folded. There is nothing to do. My father always echoes his mother in saying that you should never be bored. There is always something to do. Not for me today.

I did spend the morning going over practice math problems and the rules for exponents. I have 7 sheets of paper filled with worked math problems to show my progress. Math is so tedious to me though and I do not enjoy the subject. I look at it as a necessary evil to overcome. I do take satisfaction in working the problems out to a correct solution though. I was especially surprised on how well I did this morning simplifying equations. That was always a hard thing for me to do. I have found that now that I am older the concepts are not so hard to grasp and I feel better about taking college algebra this spring.

We have a strong cold front pouring in from the north and the weather should turn very cold over night. The forecast lows are expected to hit 17 degrees Fahrenheit. That is about as cold as it gets here in the Deep South. The abnormal weather excites me and I hope for at least some snow flurries over night. Just one flake falling would fill me full of excitement. There are even rumors of a white Christmas this year. All the local forecasts are predicting snow showers on December 25th and the 26th. If these forecasts hold true then it will be the first time in my 32 years to have snow on Christmas. I will also be the first time it has snowed here in 3 years. (As you can read, I am obsessed with frozen precipitation and the weather.)

This Christmas will be spent with my sister in Birmingham Alabama. Birmingham is about a two and a half hour drive from my home. Traditionally we always have homemade spaghetti on Christmas Eve and a big Christmas dinner that entails a honey baked ham and all the fixings. She said she was going to make sure to keep our traditions intact. I am going to drive up and spend Christmas Eve night at their house. I do so very much appreciate them inviting me. I am sure we will have a good time. I will be on my best behavior. 8^)

Well, let me go see what I can find to do. Shall I take a nap? Shall I study some more? Or shall I just goof off on the internet? Such hard questions to answer. (Sarcasm) I need to just be thankful for having a home and to have the good fortune of being bored. Those are signs that life is easy and that things are going okay. Good day.

No comments: