Monday, December 20, 2004

A very cold morning……

As I write this, the first orange glow of dawn is on the horizon. The air has grown still and nothing is stirring outside. The current temperature is 19 degrees Fahrenheit. I made it through my cold night outdoors.

Last night we had a very narrow pressure gradient over us so the winds were very brisk. The sound of the wind buffeting my tent would tend to wake me up. I did have a hard time keeping my feet warm last night especially when I first got into my bag. I wore my thermal underwear, a knit cap, and some thick socks to bed. I awoke very early this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep so I came on inside and fixed some coffee. All in all though I stayed toasty warm except for the exposed portion of my face. At least now I know I can do it if I have to and feel reassured in the capabilities of my gear.

No comments: