Friday, July 29, 2005

A Forlorn Epilogue

We met at my brother’s wedding. I will never forget the moment she entered the room of the reception. She was my sister’s best friend from their childhood. I hadn’t seen her in years. Now, she was this grown and voluptuous woman.

“You look beautiful,” I said as she walked by.

“Thanks,” She said as she looked back at me over her shoulder with a smile as she walked towards the band to dance.

I picked up a glass of champagne and took a sip. I watched her from across the room. I could see her catching occasional glimpses at me. We both smiled. I held up my glass towards her and she responded in kind.

The reception came to a close and everyone said their goodbyes and well wishes to the newlyweds. I watched as she walked out from the country club and got in her car. I thought that would be the last time I ever saw or heard from her again.

The next day at work, I was sitting at my computer entering data from our latest research study. I checked my email and there was this enticing email:

I think you are cute. I enjoyed seeing you at the wedding last night. Let’s get together soon.

She had found my email address on the University’s webpage. I emailed her back and we had a date. I was ecstatic.

Our date went well. We went to a movie and out to eat. I drove her home and we sat in her driveway. We kissed intimately and with great passion.

“Come inside,” She said.

“It is getting kind of late and I…,” I started to reply.

She held up a finger to my lips and I got quiet.

“Come on,” She said as she held out her hand.

I remember standing in front of the bed as she unbuttoned my shirt. I was a nervous wreck. She reached inside my open shirt and hugged me. I pulled her ever closer. The feel of her soft hands on my back was tantalizing.

“I have waited for this a long time,” She said as she pulled me towards her bed. “I have loved you ever since we were kids.”

Well, I will leave out the x-rated parts but we did make love. A few months later I was engaged and soon to be married. I just wish those passionate first few months would have been carried out over the two years we were married. That would have been bliss.

No comments: