Monday, July 11, 2005

A Prickly Experience and a New Nurse

My alarmed loudly sounded. I looked at the clock. I had thirty minutes to get to my doctor’s office for my shot and it is way overdue. I hastily threw on some clothes and ran to my car. I got in and drove directly to the pharmacy to get my shot out of the refrigerator and then on to the doctors. I signed in and took my seat in the waiting room next to an elderly lady.

“Weather sure did get rough yesterday.” She said in a gravelly voice as if she had smoked for years.

“It got really bad last night.” I replied.

“Did your power go out?” She asked.

“No.” I said. “We were lucky.”

“Mine was out when I left the house.” She said.

She went on to start talking about her grandchildren. She even went so far as to start showing me pictures of them. I tried to feign interest about these strangers I was being shown.

I heard the door to the back rooms open. I crossed my fingers in the hopes that I was next. The receptionist called my name loudly.

Yes! It was my turn! I always hate having to wait for something that takes five minutes. I walked back to the waiting room to find a strange face greeting me.

“Michelle had to leave.” She said. “I will be giving your shot.”

She was young and very cute. She looked just out of high school and nursing school. It seems just as soon as a nurse gets comfortable and proficient at giving my shot they leave. They have a hard time keeping gals down there as they work them mercilessly and with grueling hours.

I handed her the box with my shot in it. She opened it up and looked perplexed. She starting to unfold the directions so find out how to prepare it.

“Oh, shit! Not the directions!” I thought. “This is going to take an hour!”

“I can show you how and it will only take a minute.” I said hoping for the best.

She handed me the box and I showed her how to put it together. If you have never done it then in can be convoluted.

“Big stick!” She said after I had pulled my pants down to the side.

It felt as if someone was jabbing my ass with a sharp dagger. I winced from the pain.

“Are you okay?” She asked with a tone of concern.

“Yeah, just glad to get this over with.” I replied.

Just another day in the life of a man with schizophrenia.

No comments: