Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Heat Is On

What a hot day! It was hot at dawn. I rolled out of my bed and opened all my windows for my resident wasps. They were buzzing at the glass and wanting out for the day to forage. The nest in my apartment just inside my window is thriving. There are now up to seven worker adult females assisting the queen. I counted over six capped cells with the larva inside metamorphosing into adults. They should hatch any day now.

The wasps never bother me and have become acclimated to my presence. I guess it must seem strange that I am harboring a wasp nest inside my home and encouraging its development. If I put my finger up near the nest, one of the workers will attempt to give me nourishment by secreting a droplet of liquid as if I were a larva. That is how accustomed they are to me.

After fixing a simple breakfast of cheese toast and coffee, I donned my daypack and walked the ten minutes down to the Pig to stock up on some more Gatorade. I had a feeling I was going to need it today. The heat index is forecasted to get over the hundred degree mark. I really should just give in and turn on the air conditioner but I hate the incessant drone it emits. It is right next to my computer desk.

I saw DJ RapStar having an animated discussion with Cap with Tag Guy. Cap w/ Tag was just standing there stoically as if he was ignoring him without any expression on his face. DJ RapStar seemed almost as if he were preaching evangelically he was speaking with such animation. I try to avoid any contact with DJ RapStar. The guy is racist and trouble with a capital T. I took the long way around the periphery of the parking lot to the grocery store and managed to avoid contact.

Having my backpack with me made me feel uncomfortable about wearing it into the store. I was afraid they would think I was shoplifting but I took a chance and left it on. They see me almost everyday down there and know I am a good customer. If George or Slop is down there, I usually get one of them to watch it and I set it upon a bench. George or Slop were no where to be seen today.

Upon checking out, I managed to get Virginia as my cashier. Linda’s line had a little, old, black lady with a buggy full of groceries. The little old lady was just starting to unload them. It would have been a lengthy wait.

Virginia is a surly cow. She has worked at the Pig for years and has never managed to get promoted above cashier status. She always insists on putting my items in paper bags instead of plastic. If you are walking, the plastic bags with handles are much more convenient. I asked for plastic and she let out a loud sigh as if this simple act was causing her a great deal of extra work. I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying something as it wouldn’t be worth the ordeal.

It was a boring day today with nothing noteworthy to write about. I walked home in the oppressive heat and just sat down to write this. Maybe, if I get up the energy, I will attempt to write another story about my travels with Preacher Man. They are many more to tell.

No comments: