Thursday, July 07, 2005

Tropical Storm Cindy or the Great Escape

I had to escape yesterday. The phone was constantly ringing and I was an anxious, anxiety filled, nervous wreck. I think it is time for another shot but I can’t remember the last time I got one. I need to call my doctor’s office today and find out when my last one was. I am not feeling very well mentally as of late.

Bob called at 12 PM and left a message that he had to be at the doctor’s office at 2 PM for a checkup. He said he needed me to come over and do some things right away. He didn’t give me any advance warning or notice. He expected me to drop what I was doing and had planned and to sit for the rest of the day in the doctor’s office. I muttered very loudly as the message was being recorded, “FUCK THAT SHIT!” I got really angry as he has a black woman who can take him but he has to pay her to do it and he is too cheap. She cleans his house and cooks his meals.

I quickly packed up all my gear, loaded it into the car, and got the hell out of dodge. I went to my old homeless stomping grounds where no one could find me. No phones. No people. No noise. No traffic. No Uncle Bobs. As I was driving there, the closer I got the better I felt. I could feel the anxiety melt away and the butterflies in the pit of my stomach dissipate.

I had also forgotten that I had tropical storm Cindy headed directly towards me. After I got the tent set up, I sat on my cooler and tuned my radio to the weather band. There were all kinds of watches and warnings out for my county and around central Alabama. Within an hour of setting up my camp it started to rain and RAIN HARD. It poured rain endlessly for hours. The sound of the rain was a roar on the fabric of my tent. The wind was also extremely gusty and really put my tent to the test.

I had not been there long until my stomach started to cramp. I had to go to the bathroom bad and I was caught in a downpour. A very compromising situation I might add. I waited until I couldn’t wait any longer. I donned my emergency poncho and ran out into the storm and driving rain to relieve myself. By the time I got back to the tent I was soaking wet. I took off all my clothes, climbed into my sleeping bag to get warm, and feel fast asleep. I didn’t wake up until early this morning. I guess I was just exhausted from all that has been happening lately.

No comments: