Wednesday, July 20, 2005

My Experiences with Blog Explosion

A long time ago, a friend recommended and referred me to Blog Explosion. I took a look and even went so far as to sign up. I thought it was just a gimmick though and never went any further. A few days ago, I decided to take another look and try it out. It does work but you have to have a lot of free time on your hands.

I thought, “Cool, I will get to read some interesting blogs while I earn credits.” My elation over this prospect was soon deflated. The majority of the blogs out there are mind numbingly boring but it seems the authors have paid for credits or something. Their blogs are constantly brought up. I would have to sit there for thirty seconds reading completely uninteresting crap. It was about as much fun as stepping in dog crap and having to scrape it off your shoe with a stick.

There are also thousands of political blogs saying the same exact damn thing. It seems as if these authors take the talking points of either party and just post them into a blog. Thousands are doing this and it is another thirty seconds wasted. When I hit a political blog I could guess with uncanny accuracy what the author was going to be writing about.

My main goal was to drum up some more content on my blog via comments. I wasn’t so interesting in just visits. Comments give long time readers interesting stuff to read and allow you to interact with your readership. Comments give a blog a sense of vitality. The problem with Blog Explosion is that the majority of visitors only stick around for the mandatory 30 seconds and click away in their quest for credits. The interface with Blog Explosion also makes it hard to bookmark a page in your browser which is frustrating. I did find a few interesting blogs but I had a hard time revisiting them with Blog Explosion’s clumsy interface.

Anyways, I will probably still dabble with it over the next few weeks and see what happens. I certainly won’t be sitting in front of the computer all day and clicking those links though. I would rather have a life than a frequently visited blog.

PS – Everybody and their grandmother is posting about the new Harry Potter book. It reminds me of the hype surrounding a long anticipated summer blockbuster film such as the latest Star Wars. If I have to read another long winded post about how long you had to wait in line to receive Harry Potter at midnight, I will turn off my computer and go outside.

No comments: