Friday, July 22, 2005

Camping in a Furnace

I went camping yesterday evening. I tried to wait until very late in the evening to go due to the excessive heat yesterday. It was still hot as hell even after dark and the high humidity compounded the problem. I was mainly interesting in sitting around a fire and looking at the country night sky. I was also hoping to see the last vestiges of yesterday’s thunderstorms as they died down after the sun set. Nether of these hopes panned out.

I don’t know why I torture myself sometimes but last night’s experience was not so fun. I was literally eaten alive by something as I slept. I have bug bites all over my body and have been furiously scratching since dawn to the point I am bleeding. Whatever it was that decided to make a meal out of me especially enjoyed the area around my ankles and groin.

As usual, I awoke long before daylight. The cool morning air was a nice change from the previous day. I lit my lantern, sat upon my cooler, and ate a bowl of cereal and a banana. I then packed my gear into the car and drove home. The sun was just coming up as I pulled into the driveway.

I have to get my bi-weekly injection this morning. I really need to go get in the shower and stop writing this. I have thirty minutes to get showered, dressed, and to drive down to the valley. Off I go.

No comments: