Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Sadness and Tears

I started out this morning’s hike with bold intentions. I was going to make it to the big water tower near my old junior high school and then head back. I needed to get out in the fresh air and clear my head. I also needed a lofty goal that challenged me and took my mind off my current problems and circumstances.

Along the way I passed by Uncle Bob’s house. He lives only a few blocks away from me. I decided to stop by and check in on him. I rung the door bell and my cousin Jean opened the door and welcomed me inside.

“How is he doing?” I asked quietly.

“He is hanging in there.” She said. “He is in the bedroom.”

I walked into the bedroom where I found Bob sitting in the chair by the bed; the very bed that Aunt Jessie had died on.

“Hey fella, you doing okay?” I asked loudly as he can be kind of hard of hearing.

He looked up and held out his hands towards me. I held mine out and he grasped it with both his hands and held it tightly.

“I really appreciate what you have done lately.” He said. “I know it was not fun getting me up there and seeing about all that.”

“Don’t you worry about that.” I said. “We are going to see about you. You are family.”

“I went up there and went through hell and I came back home to find my wife is dead.” He said as he choked back tears.

My eyes swelled with tears as well and a few drops fell down my cheeks and splattered on the hardwood floor. I wiped them off and tried to regain my composure.

“We are gonna get through this.” I said. “We are all going to stick together.”

“Are you gonna get me to the funeral?” Bob asked. “I can’t take the visitation. I don’t want to go to that.”

“I will get you up there and we are going to stay with your brother that night in Acworth.” I said. “I have already talked to him on the phone. He called me this morning.”

“I appreciate it.” He said as he let go of my hand.

I told him goodbye and walked out of the room.
“Jean, you call me if you all need me.” I said as I gave her a hug.

I exited the front door and slung my daypack back on. I started to head towards the water tower but no longer had the will to hike. I solemnly walked the two blocks back to my apartment and wrote this.

No comments: