Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Drunk at Noon

“George, you are drunk,” I said.

George looked up at me with bloodshot eyes from the bench he was sitting on.

“Fuck off, ya white cracka!” George exclaimed and then started to laugh hysterically.

I looked around the parking lot to see if his car was here. It wasn’t to be seen. He apparently got a ride.

“George sho be fucked up.” Slop said sitting next to George.

“Fuck yo ass Slop. You fat mutha fucka.” George said as he began to laugh again.

“Hey man, let’s get you home,” I said. “You need to sleep it off.”

George unscrewed the cap off of a pint of whiskey wrapped in a brown paper bag and took another big slug.

“I be waitin’ for someone,” George replied.

I sat down on the bench next to George and lit up a cigarette. George fumbled in his shirt pocket to finally pull out a cigar. He put it into his mouth and I held up my lighter to light it.

“What’s going on man? You usually don’t get this fucked up,” I said.

“Dat bitch said she would meet me here,” George said. “Her ass ain’t shown up yet.”

“He be thinkin’ Yolanda gonna give him some pussy,” Slop said.

I gave Slop a stern look trying to shut him up as he was trying to escalate the situation. I know George is crazy and all but he looks out for me. He would jump in and help if something happened to me down at the Pig. I owe him a helping hand.

“Come on, man,” I said as I grabbed his elbow. “Let’s head to the house.”

George yanked his elbow away.

“I ain’t goin’ nowhere until I see that bitch!” George said loudly.

“How bout me and you get a twelve pack of beer and split it?” I asked. “Me and you haven’t had a drink together in a long time.”

By this time a big storm was coming and the thunder was getting ever louder. I walked into the Pig and bought a twelve pack of beer and then headed back outside. George saw the twelve pack and got up.

“You be my brotha,” George said as he put his arm around my neck and over my shoulder.

“Let’s head on to the house.” I said as we both walked to my car.

I managed to get George home in one piece. His elderly mother was standing at the door as I drove up. I apologized for George’s condition and handed her the twelve pack of beer. She understood and told me to take care. George likes to drink but I rarely see him three sheets to the wind. I just knew he was going to get arrested.

No comments: