Thursday, July 07, 2005

Taking Action

This is the last time I will speak of this subject. I know my readers are growing tired of my incessant rambling about this. Keep in mind that this is a personal journal and something with which I organize my thoughts and put them down for posterity.

Uncle Bob was LITERALLY driving me crazy. The phone has ringed over ten times today as he seldom leaves a message. He then called my mother to see if I was over there. All this as he wanted me to get a box down out of the closet that held some insurance papers and wanted me to help him take a bath. I finally had to take action for my mental health’s sake.

I called a lady named Floreen who used to help take care of my grandmother before she passed away. (My grandmother had Alzheimer’s disease and needed around the clock supervision.) She was very good and patient with cranky senior citizens. Bob can be a tad racist as well and I warned her. She said she would come everyday for 8 hours a day at $7 dollars an hour and see about Bob.

Now, I had to talk Bob into agreeing to go through with this. He is notoriously frugal, thrifty, and cheap. He is also very wealthy. I told him that I had a mental illness and that my health was failing over his constant barrage of demands and phone calls. I told him I was not a nurse or a home health care provider. I also told him about Linda and that she was willing to come and assured him that she was good help. He finally reluctantly agreed after much persuading. He really didn’t have much of a choice in the matter as he is not able to take care of himself at the moment and he needs someone who is trained in taking care of the elderly.

I feel as if a ton of weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The constant ringing of the phone has ceased. I shall now go take a long nap in comfort and silence. I think I may even turn on the air conditioning for a change in celebration.

No comments: