Saturday, July 16, 2005

Livin’ Large

I feel as if I live in the tropics. We are caught in a persistent and stagnant weather pattern. Everyday the heat of the sun causes thunderstorms to bubble up and fire. The humidity in the air is so thick you feel as if you could cut it with a knife. It rains for most of the day everyday. This leaves only a narrow window of early morning or late afternoon to complete my daily hike.

Today I left the house as the sun was first coming up. I must have walked around 6 miles. On my way home, I passed by Merl’s Diner and decided to get some breakfast. Merl’s is like a family owned Waffle House but the food is a thousand times better. I took a stool and ordered steak and eggs and a cup of coffee. I was starving and was living large by purchasing such an elaborate breakfast.

An elderly man was sitting next to me at the counter. He had a wiry, wild, and untamed beard. He looked like the stereotypical homeless man. He struck up a conversation.

“Sure looks like the Chattahoochee is gonna flood,” He said.

I had noticed that there were sandbags by the door in preparation when I walked in.

“If this rain keeps up, it sure will like it did in ninety eight,” I replied.

He took a drink of his coffee and then continued the conversation.

“Now the flood of sixty-two, that was the big one,” He said. “They had boats trawling the streets of downtown West Point the water was so high.”

“That was before my time,” I replied. “But I have heard stories about it.”

By this time, my food had arrived. The waitress sat down a plate with a huge steak on it with a side of eggs and a bowl of grits. She sat down another small plate with two huge buttermilk biscuits sitting upon it.

“I am never going to eat all of this,” I thought.

I managed to eat every bit of it and it was delicious. I placed a nice tip on the counter, paid for my meal, and bid the elderly gentleman goodbye. I then walked on up towards the shopping center were the Piggly Wiggly resides. I was almost back home.

Saturday is the busiest day of the week for the Pig. It was bustling with activity this morning. The flea market was also open and scores of people were perusing the stalls. The parking lot was just jammed full of cars. A day such as Saturday is the opportune time for the Piggly Wiggly groupies to make some extra cash through their various means. The activity and hustle and bustle draws them there like moths to a flame. I had an interesting conversation with George and I will post it as soon as I get it written.

No comments: