Monday, April 24, 2006

A Deliberate Life

I made my way back down to Ferret’s campsite today. I wanted to give him one of my extra magnesium fire starters and show him how to use it. As I made my way back to the clearing in the trees where Ferret had pitched his tent, the most wonderful smell of food came wafting by me upon the air. Ferret was standing over a pot above a fire and stirring the contents.

“What you cookin?” I asked as I walked up to him. “It smells wonderful.”

“Ground beef hash,” He said handing me a spoon full of the concoction.

I tasted it and it was indeed delicious.

“What did you put in it?” I asked.

“Oh, just some onions, ground beef, potatoes, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste,” Ferret said. “You want to stay for supper?”

“Sure,” I said as Ferret went back into his tent to get an extra bowl and spoon.

He ladled two bowls full of the food and we sat on the ground around the fire as we ate.

“You were right about the mouthwash,” I said.

“That shit will fuck you up!” Ferret said with a grin.

“Yeah, and give you the worst hangover you have ever experienced in your whole life as well,” I replied.

Ferret just laughed and laughed.

“Did you drink the whole bottle?” He asked.

“Yeap,” I replied. “I got so fucked up last night I couldn’t even find my glasses this morning.”

“Man, you gotta drink that shit slow and easy,” He replied.

We both finished up eating our bowls of food. I handed Ferret the fire starter and showed him how to use it. He was very appreciative of the gift. I was about ready to head for home.

“What do you miss most about living in a home?” I asked Ferret before leaving.

“I miss the television,” He said. “And these fucking mosquitoes will drive you crazy.”
“Well, I haven’t watched the TV in months and can assure you that you aren’t missing much,” I replied. “I will get some OFF tomorrow at work if I think about it for those damn bugs.”

“See ya man,” Ferret said as I started my walk back home.

I really do envy Ferret in a certain way of the life he is living. It is such a simple and deliberate way to live. I don’t know why, but I have a strong feeling of nostalgia over my homeless days.

No comments: