Saturday, April 15, 2006

A Journey’s End

I realize personal happenings such as this on a blog can be boring for readers not familiar with the author. I think you have to read someone for a long time to be interested in personal writings such as this. I just felt like writing and capturing today's events to read on a later date when I want to reminisce.

Ah, the comforts of home. My familiar surroundings enveloping me like a warm and well fitting glove. It is so good to be back where I feel the most comfortable in my humble abode. Social situations such as today just drain me completely. That and long drives leave me tired and worn out.

On the way up to my sister’s home, I swung by my great aunt’s house to see if she wanted to go with me. I knew not to call her ahead of time as she would have just said no. Surprisingly, she did want to undertake the journey. To be 89 years old, she is just amazing at how well she does. During the drive, I got filled in on all who either had cancer or had died. She can be so morose in her conversational subject matter. To hear her talk, you would think she was knocking on death’s door. She also talks incessantly and I just quietly drove onwards as I listened and gave her an audience and an ear.

We finally arrived at my sister’s house and I was glad to be off the road. Once everyone had finally arrived as well, we got back into our vehicles and headed to the restaurant. The food was very good and with reasonable prices. I ate a fried oyster and shrimp combo platter which only cost me $10 bucks. There was more food on my plate than I could eat. When then sang happy birthday to my sister and ate chocolate iced pound cake and vanilla ice cream. Our waitress was stellar with dealing with such a large crowd of nine people so we all pitched in and tipped her twenty dollars. You should have seen the smile on her face.

I was chomping at the bit to get the drive home over with before it grew dark. My great aunt also goes to bed as the sun sets so she made for a convenient excuse to get back on the road again and head down state.

On the drive home, she wanted to stop by this quaint old-timey feed and seed store in a town along the way. She bought some rutabaga seeds for her garden (yes, she is 89 and still plants her annual garden) and I bought some fertilizer for our pond which I have been meaning to do for months now. I dropped her off at her home, made sure she was settled, and then drove to the pond to pour in the fertilizer. I just happened to have a fishing rod in the back of my Honda and cast it a few times. On about the fifth cast, I caught a foot long bass which I unhooked and released. I still get that same thrill from fishing that I did as a child.

I then pointed my car east and headed towards home. There was no greater feeling than pulling up into my driveway after a long day with Rosie sitting by my back door to welcome me home.

“Hey girl!” I said as I petted her vigorously and then unlocked my door.

She did a little happy dance that only joyous dogs can do when excited and then ran inside. I was home at last.

No comments: