Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Birthday Goings On

We all had a great time at my birthday party. Dad’s best friend came along with his wife and son. My good friend Alan, his wife, and daughter drove down from Atlanta to attend as well. I really appreciated that as they had to drive all the way back to Atlanta tonight as they had school and work tomorrow.

I also got a surprise phone call from my brother in Iraq. I was so great to hear his voice and to know he is okay. He just got the new rank of Lieutenant. As a doctor in the Navy, he is part of a trauma team attached to a group of Marines. He couldn’t tell me much though as they have to be careful what they say due to security reasons.

I ordered three extra large pizzas online and had them delivered to my parent’s house. At first, I thought I had ordered too much, but it worked out perfect. We only had three slices left which I will have for breakfast. Dad had baked my favorite cake, a butternut crème. We all sat around the kitchen table eating cake and ice cream and talking and laughing after everyone sang happy birthday which embarrassed me somewhat. I am getting too old for such things. I don’t like a fuss.

Dad’s best friend Mack then went into this long tale of how I got his autistic son to come out of his shell. Randall is one year older than me at 35 and we grew up together.

“He didn’t start talking until you started to play with him,” Mack said. “All he would do was sit in his room and thump boxes of Crest toothpaste.”

“What did you think of Randall when you were a child?” Dad interjected.

“I just thought of him as one of the gang,” I replied. “I never treated him any different than any other kid.”

“But most kids his age were scared of him as he acted so strange,” Mack said. “You always had a connection with him.”

“He was kind of like a brother to me as I see you more as an Uncle and not dad’s friend,” I replied.

“One time you were playing really rough with Randall,” Mack said.

“And I got on to you and told you to quit,” Dad interrupted.

“I got pissed at you for doing that,” Mack said to my father. “I told you to let him continue. Nobody ever played with Randall. I think that was the first time I ever heard him laugh.”

The conversation went on for quite a bit longer until it had gotten dark. It was time for Randall’s nightly ritual of buying his can of shaving crème at the local Kroger. I thanked everyone for coming and we all went outside to wave goodbye to everyone. I then walked the short distance home feeling thankful for the wonderful friends and family I have in my life. Yes, they can be trying at times, but I wouldn’t trade them for anyone else in the world. My, have things come far since my ostracized homeless days.

No comments: