Monday, April 17, 2006

Starlight, Star Bright

Star Light Star bright,

The first star I see tonight,

I wish I may,

I wish I might,

Have the wish I wish tonight.


What beautiful words from a child’s nursery rhyme. Looking at the night sky just a moment ago evoked such memories of said rhyme. I can picture my mother sitting by my bed brushing the hair out of my face as we said it together looking out the window above my bed at the Polaris, the North Star.

“Sleep tight my little bed bug,” She would say.

“Night mom, I love you,” I would reply.

She would pull the warm covers over me and silently walk out of room often looking back at me and my brother before she left. I would lie in bed thinking fantastic thoughts of other worlds and other beings as I continued to look at that bright star in my window. Soon, my eyes would grow heavy and my yawning would increase in frequency. My fantastic thoughts would soon turn into dreams and fitful sleep. Good night.

No comments: