Thursday, April 13, 2006

Watching the Clock

My job is so mind numbingly boring. I guess I shouldn’t complain as it really is the perfect job for me at the moment. I love the hours. I just wish there was more variation in the tasks I have to perform everyday. I spent all morning putting out ten pound bags of potatoes and three pound bags of onions. The potatoes were on sale this week for $1.98 and were selling just about as fast as I could put them out.

[Just as I was writing this, a raccoon came strolling across my backyard. Rosie went tearing off after it barking furiously. There was a long standoff until the raccoon finally backed down and disappeared into the bamboo thicket on my side yard. I think Rosie confused it with a cat which is her preferred creature of chase. Unfortunately, the raccoon was much braver than our neighborhood cats. I grew concerned that there might be a fight. Rose would have probably lost. Raccoons can be vicious.]

I have developed this casual relationship with this elderly man who forages through the dumpsters behind work. I often see him out there very early in the morning as I go out the back door to throw away cardboard and whatnot. I will call him Dumpster Diving Dan for the purposes of this blog. You can often see Dan feeding stale bread to the Seagulls down by the river.

“Good morning,” I said this morning as I greeted him.

“Good morning, good sir,” He replied.

“Do you want any apples or onions?” I asked. “The apples have a few blemishes and the bags of onions have a few that are sprouting.”

“I would be very appreciative,” He replied.

I walked back to the produce department and put the apples and onions into a cardboard box and carried them out to Dan. He shook my hand furiously and thanked me profusely.

“These will make a fine apple pie and onion soup,” He replied.

“Well, I am just glad you can use them,” I said. “We were just going to throw them away.”

You would be surprised at the amount of food we just chuck into the bin on a daily basis.

After work, I walked down to Wanda’s diner and ate some breakfast. I had a lot left over as I had gotten full. I got them to put the rest in a to-go box. I then walked across the highway to the railroad tracks hoping to find Ferret at his nightly sleeping spot. Once again my mission of compassion was thwarted as Ferret was no where to be seen. I wondered if his mother had finally let him move back in. Oh well, at least I keep trying. I will have to get in touch with Sherman today and find out the latest gossip on Ferret and see what’s up.

No comments: