Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Drawing Lines in the Sand

This encounter with the gang originally occurred on September 9, 2005. I just really don’t feel like writing today even though something very interesting happened at work this morning that I wanted to share. Maybe I will share that work experience tomorrow. I have tried writing about it several times today, but have given up after a paragraph. Maybe a writer’s stars and planets are just not perfectly aligned today or something.

________________________


I made the mistake of walking down to the grocery store this morning for chocolate milk and some crackers. I needed a walk and to get out of the house. The groupies were in full force and they were fiery mad about what happened in New Orleans. The conversation I got caught in grew racially charged.

“Dat shows you what da guv’ment thinks of poor-ass niggas,” Sherman said speaking of the government’s lackadaisical response to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“My great aunt be livin’ down dere and she was in the superdome,” Big S said.

“Did she get out?” I asked as I took a drink of my milk.

“Hell, I don’t be knowin’,” Big S said. “Last I heard was dat my sister saw her on TV. Haven’t heard from her since.”

“Well, I hope she is okay,” I replied sincerely.

“If all dem peoples be rich, white folks then dey would have gotten help da next day,” Sherman said excitedly and with great emotion.

I couldn’t argue with him as he was most likely right. The poor and minorities are often neglected in modern society. It’s a dog eat dog world.

“What about yo white ass?” Sherman asked speaking to me. “What would you have done?”

I ate another cracker and took a swig of chocolate milk. I pondered over my reply.

“Sherman,” I said earnestly. “I would have gotten the hell outta there. I would have packed my backpack with food and water, loaded my 9mm pistol, and hiked out of that hell hole. I can hike 15 miles on a good day.”

“Well, you crazy, white, survivalist mutha fuckas could do dat,” He replied. “But most niggas ain’t gonna be hiking. Hell, most niggas ain’t gonna have a sleeping bag or tent like yo crazy ass.”

“Sherman, would you want to sit around and wait on help that might not come?” I asked. “I would help myself.”

“What about all dem niggas with childrens and elderly folks,” Sherman replied. “Dey ass couldn’t hike outta dere.”

Big S agreed with Sherman.

“You’re right, man,” I replied. “If I had kids or an elderly family member then I would be stuck there dependent upon others. I would be doing my best to see about them.”

“Now, me and you be brothas, right?” Sherman asked as he extended his hand.

“Yeah, man. We are cool,” I replied as I shook his hand.

“Then, you gotta admit dose niggas were treated wrong,” Sherman said.

“Sherman, you and I both know that what happened down there was wrong,” I replied.

“See? Dat be what I am talkin’ about,” Sherman replied. “Even a white cracka admits it.”

I had finally finished my crackers and milk. Sherman went on and on about the injustices that had occurred in New Orleans. He and Big S argued feverishly about what had happened. I bid them both farewell and walked on home.

I don’t have anything important or ground breaking to say about what just occurred and what happened on the gulf coast. I mainly feel apathy and sadness. I have no way of helping as I am personally poor as well and have no means of doing so.

No comments: