Monday, April 17, 2006

Precursor to Summer

What a muggy morning. The humidity was so thick you could cut it with a knife. A heavy layer of stratus clouds had formed overnight keeping the temperatures warm and not hot by hiding the sun. Other than the oppressive humidity, it was a quite pleasant morning.

Work was routine except for one incident. I spent most of the morning wrapping chili peppers for sale. I forgot to put on my latex gloves and absent mindedly rubbed my eyes once. Big mistake! An immediate painful burning sensation ensued and my eyes turned bloodshot red. I looked like I had a vicious hangover. I won’t repeat that little excruciatingly painful faux pas again.

I did see Dumpster Diving Dan this morning. He was knee deep in trash in one of the bins as I walked out to throw some stuff away. He had found several bags of stale bread we had thrown away.

“Are you going to feed that to the seagulls this morning?” I asked.

“Of course,” He said as he smiled. “I have to take care of God’s creatures.”

Watching Dan feed the seagulls is a sight to behold. They follow the river up from the Gulf of Mexico. Hundreds of seagulls will encircle Dan as he throws out the scraps of stale bread squabbling amongst each other for the choicest morsels. I wonder how long the local authorities will let this continue as Dan’s little coven continues to grow weekly as more and more seagulls are attracted to the easy life of a free meal everyday.

After work, none of the gang was to be seen this morning. Big S must have had one of his rare lie ins. I was thinking this morning as I sat on Big S’s bench about how sad a life it must be to sit in front of a grocery store everyday begging for change. Of course, Big S thinks it is a grand way to live and probably wouldn’t have it any other way. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Well, let me get my backpack packed up and get headed out for my daily hike before these clouds burn off and the sun emerges. I am hiking back to my secret place and am going to spend the afternoon sleeping and reading amongst the woods and the quiet serenity it affords. I have made some wonderful sandwiches of dark rye bread, sliced turkey, pepper jack cheese, and Dijon mustard for lunch. Amelia had also asked in my previous post what I am reading. I am slowly making my way through Dean Koontz’ selection of stories called Strange Highways. Good day.

No comments: